Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

3.8 v6 = junk!!!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the 3.8 is underpowered and all, but I got 125,000 on my 2008 JKU and its lifted and everything, and it doesn't leak or burn a drop! But it goes into the dealer for its free oil changes every 4-5K miles like religion, and I add Slick-50 as well. And I don't baby it, it's been up to the headlights in water, driven on the Outer Banks, stuck in Moab and outside of Vegas, and its never let me down yet. But I also have a 2013 and its a world of difference!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by eric5371
So by your assessment there really hasn't been any advances in engineering, materials, tolerances, technology, engine management systems, and engine design in the last 100 years? Your rationale is laughable!

Hmmm, tires are still round, made of rubber, and are filled with air so I should expect about the same reliability and performance as the tires that came on a model T. LOL!!
No need to laugh.
My comment is correct. It's still a piston in a cylinder, sealed by compression and oil rings, (the basic technology I referred to).
The potential to burn oil is still there. Nothing in that regard has changed.

And by the way, tire pressure still needs to be checked once in a while, too, just like on a Model T.

Regarding the OP and his wanting advice, some of us are trying to get people to take reasonable care of their vehicles.
Checking the oil once in a while is a part of that.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
No need to laugh.
My comment is correct. It's still a piston in a cylinder, sealed by compression and oil rings, (the basic technology I referred to).
The potential to burn oil is still there. Nothing in that regard has changed.

And by the way, tire pressure still needs to be checked once in a while, too, just like on a Model T.

Regarding the OP and his wanting advice, some of us are trying to get people to take reasonable care of their vehicles.
Agreed that your comments are correct in the context of it is a good idea to check oil as well as other preventative maintenance items. That being said how many people do you think actually do this?

I think my comments were targeted more around expectations. Most people now days do not have the time or the inclination to be constantly checking their oil level. Especially those that follow a rigid oil change schedule.

Because they have a reasonable expectation that if they spend 30K+ on a modern low mileage vehicle that it will not burn so much oil that it goes dry between 3000 mile oil changes.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

How much would you think it will cost to do an engine swap 3.8 to a 5.3 and are there any engine places as some said that you could finance in the nyc area . Because I have a 3.8 and it deff lacks in power .........

Side note is there any place you could find if there has been any recalls to the 08 jk rubi engines ?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fail to see how this is Chryslers fault at all.

To the people saying this is a "Very Common Problem", its not. Yes those that have it happen speak out. But a handful of issues across a few hundred thousand vehicles does not mean it is very common.

Regardless of the vehicle, the oil should be checked on a regular basis. There is no excuse not to.

And just to add to those that are not having issues, mine has 37k, doesn't leak or burn a drop. After 5k miles (I run full synthetic), its always full.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tankatoy
How much would you think it will cost to do an engine swap 3.8 to a 5.3 and are there any engine places as some said that you could finance in the nyc area . Because I have a 3.8 and it deff lacks in power .........

Side note is there any place you could find if there has been any recalls to the 08 jk rubi engines ?
A 5.3, as in a GM 5.3? Thats an expensive swap as the electronics are entirely different. It would be easier to swap in a Chrysler engine as the electronics then match up. Which is why hemi swaps are far more common than swaps to another make.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's not a super tough swap. LS engines are stand alone. LsWrangler.com.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

OK, let’s just move on! Jeep’s with 3.8v6s make oil disappeare!, up to a quart a week without being visible! Been there done that! You can’t overhaul a 3.8 for a thousand or less! I just did mine and used brand name parts cause I want it to last as long as the first one! I spent about 3200 and that includes machine work on block & heads! Cheapest way out, find old school V8 in a 4wd truck and get all the parts you will need at the same time for a good price! That is what I should have done! Put am MSD TO FIRE THE IGNATION, use your Jeep harness except for the coil, the rest will adapt to the Ford or Chevy v8, not the Jeep transmission, you could use the xfer case, but it might not handle the torque! Also stay away from injection, use a carb, no hassles! I have friends who made the swap and always end up selling it to individuals who want it more than my friends, MONEY TALKS! Sorry you had such a hard lesson, but you are not alone! Just suggestions, lots of them out there! Good luck! Larry
Old 04-14-2021, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Larry,

What all did you do and at what mileage? I'm at 235k and looking at freshening up.

Quick Reply: 3.8 v6 = junk!!!!!