Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

37's on a D30?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emiles1987
Makes perfect sense. How do your 4:88's look on the D30? I'm hoping to bump up to 37's in the spring and would like to avoid purchasing a new axle for another year or so. I do wheel it a few times per month.
I have a 6spd like you and feel that the 4.88s are perfect. Too me it is an ideal blend of offroad ability and onroad/highway friendly. I turn about 2750rpms at 70mph, have no trouble at all holding and pulling on the highway as well as hills. I frequently tow a 16 foot aluminum ATV trailer with 4 ATVs. It weighs about 2200lbs and I can pull all but the steepest hills in 6th on the highway.
My dana 30 has C-gussets and poly performance heavy duty ball joints in it and I've logged almost 40K miles with my 37s, no problems yet. My future plans are to go 60s front and rear add flat fenders and move up to 40s...that is when the axle swap will come in.
The 4.88s looked fine in the dana 30, if you look at the side by side to a 5.13 set there is a definate size difference. The 4.88s have more surface/tooth contact area than the 5.13s.
I have no regrets on going with 37s, I've been very happy with my choice. When I was building mine I actually bought 5.13s first, then set them back for 4.88s because inspite of what everyone recommended, 5.13s, I felt it would be too low for regular street use. That with looking at the RPM charts for gearing I ultimately choose the 4.88s and I'm glad I did. My Jk has no issues with acceleration, I think it accelerates better now than when it was stock or atleast as good as.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
I have a 6spd like you and feel that the 4.88s are perfect. Too me it is an ideal blend of offroad ability and onroad/highway friendly. I turn about 2750rpms at 70mph, have no trouble at all holding and pulling on the highway as well as hills. I frequently tow a 16 foot aluminum ATV trailer with 4 ATVs. It weighs about 2200lbs and I can pull all but the steepest hills in 6th on the highway.
My dana 30 has C-gussets and poly performance heavy duty ball joints in it and I've logged almost 40K miles with my 37s, no problems yet. My future plans are to go 60s front and rear add flat fenders and move up to 40s...that is when the axle swap will come in.
The 4.88s looked fine in the dana 30, if you look at the side by side to a 5.13 set there is a definate size difference. The 4.88s have more surface/tooth contact area than the 5.13s.
I have no regrets on going with 37s, I've been very happy with my choice. When I was building mine I actually bought 5.13s first, then set them back for 4.88s because inspite of what everyone recommended, 5.13s, I felt it would be too low for regular street use. That with looking at the RPM charts for gearing I ultimately choose the 4.88s and I'm glad I did. My Jk has no issues with acceleration, I think it accelerates better now than when it was stock or atleast as good as.
I've got some work to do this winter! Thank you for the information!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...-236156/page2/ *link

Post #17 for a couple pictures.

D30, gussets, 4.88's, and manual tranny (if that matters to you).

Plenty of posts on here of people breaking the 30's with the larger than stock tires. We have not in our time on larger tires since 08'. This has been a dd in Iowa for us with trips to CO and UT. Im not saying slap on the 37's and let er rip, but we have had no problems whatsoever. Knock on wood..........

Quick Reply: 37's on a D30?