Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

3rd brake light required?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Required by federal law since 1986. Can be LED strip, single filament bulb, multiple bulbs, even neon. Must be mounted higher than the regular brake lights and in the center of the rear of the vehicle
Old 09-08-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonG82

Haha, not here in Oregon, police LOVE seeing my Jeep on the road, and love to stop me even more "for a closer look". I guess i'm going to have to slap the stock carrier back on until I can get my bumper on friday (disappointment, I kinda liked the look of it off) and maybe then i'll have better changes on the road.
No cops ever stop me in Portland. Maybe I have an ugly Jeep? Plus I don't have 3rd brake light.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4195589716.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	208538   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3410057419.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	208540  
Old 09-08-2011, 10:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsears
No cops ever stop me in Portland. Maybe I have an ugly Jeep? Plus I don't have 3rd brake light.
An ugly Jeep? Are you on drugs? .. ..It might be due to my eyes, I always happen to see extra zeros after the posted max speed limit... But good to hear they don't hassel you, I hope I have the same luck. I really don't want to deal with a 3rd brake light, seems like a total waste of time and money, plus i've never been much for the look of it.

Funny thing about this, I came across your comment because I was searching through to find local Portland members to see if any of them still used the 3rd brake light and came across your profile, I started searching your profile for photos but couldn't find any albums, so I looked to see if you had posted any photos of your rig lately to check if you run a 3rd brake light, and saw that you answered my question with your comment. So thanks! Haha.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
They probably get away with it because cops have better things to do than worry about nitpicky BS rules that have little effect on our society.

True, but it does give them a reason to pull you over. Even in a state where the laws are vague.

Carl Spackler's rule number 834: Never give 'em a reason...
Old 01-28-2022, 03:14 AM
JK Newbie

Default Definitive answer

Well hello all, I just got pulled over by one of our finest here in Utah.
HIs reason was that my upper brake light was out, I gave him my license and told him, I didn't know someone put one on my truck, let it be known I roll a 1990 Chevy suburban, now let me also explain that I have held a commercial license in California and Colorado, knowing more laws than most officers, is sort of a requirement.
He then asked me to confirm that it was a 1990, I informed him that he was correct, now when he attempted to write me a ticket, I quickly informed him it was not required on my truck, you see, in 1986 the NHSTA required all CARS to have an upper brake light installed on the vehicle during manufacturing, in 1994 the same law was passed to include LIGHT TRUCKS, after researching this fact I was released from his attempted stranglehold, and went on my merry way.
So moral of the story, it pays to know the federal and state laws when it comes to driving.

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light required?