Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

400hp Pentastar

Old 08-25-2011, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 400hp Pentastar

Maybe the 2012 Wranglers won't need a regear of they can reach 400hp like this article suggest

http://m.automobilemag.com/reviews/d...ive/index.html
Old 08-25-2011, 04:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Wikipedia:

The 3.6 liter engine itself has different horsepower ratings in different vehicles, and has higher horsepower (305 hp) and torque (268 lb-ft) as used in the Dodge Challenger[7]

Twin and single turbocharged variants are planned for 2014. These engines are projected to produce around 420 and 370 horsepower respectively. Direct injection is also planned.
First, it sounds like you can probably crank up the HP from 290 to ~315 with minor mods (programmer, intake, etc.). A turbocharged option would be nice for the street, but I'd rather see a factory supercharged option for superior off road use. Either way, it sounds like a promising powerplant with over 50% more power available than the current engine, and 96% torque available at around 2000 RPM.

Micah
Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait!
Good thing I grabbed a 2011.
I can hang on to it till 2014-15 and get a new one than
Old 08-25-2011, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

Never gonna see that.... With the mpg cap starting in a decade. Jeep has to get smarter about figureing how to move this brick to increase mpgs not cater to the rice rocket fans.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

We want a Turbo Diesel Engine. They already are being use in different countries . 25-28 MPG highway
Old 08-25-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't think the bill makes it mandatory for all vehicles by a manufacturer to be 50 mpg. From what I understand it covers all vehicles that arent "puprose built". For example, our Wranglers are "purpose built" for off road. Corvette's for speed and trucks for hauling and pulling. I'm not saying I'm 100% correct, but that was my understanding of it. Those standards are achievable I believe, but it will require co-operation between the different auto makers.

I would love for Jeep to put a turbo in it from the factory, but I really dont see that happening, at least not for a long time. We still dont even have a factory AUX trans cooler, which they put on for export to some countries stock. They aren't even that expensive. It would be really nice though to be able to handle the freeway at 80 MPH for an hour or two without feeling like i'm pushing the JK to its limits.

Last edited by danmojo82; 08-25-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by danmojo82
I don't think the bill makes it mandatory for all vehicles by a manufacturer to be 50 mpg. From what I understand it covers all vehicles that arent "puprose built". For example, our Wranglers are "purpose built" for off road. Corvette's for speed and trucks for hauling and pulling. I'm not saying I'm 100% correct, but that was my understanding of it. Those standards are achievable I believe, but it will require co-operation between the different auto makers.

I would love for Jeep to put a turbo in it from the factory, but I really dont see that happening, at least not for a long time, we still dont even have a factory AUX trans cooler, which they put on for export to some countries automatically. They aren't even that expensive. It would be really nice though to be able to handle the freeway at 80 MPH for an hour or two without feeling like i'm pushing the JK to its limits.
And it doesn't have to be every vehicle in the line up, as long as a certain percentage of the models can or something like that. So if the Compass, the Liberty, the etc. can get that, the Wrangler doesn't have too. Least that is what I thought I saw.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

400 HP? Yes please!

Quick Reply: 400hp Pentastar