Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

4x4 help

Old 04-21-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 help

I wanted to ask when i was offroading on friday in the desert there were inclines of soft sand and just soft sand allover. i was in 4hi in second most of the time. but sometimes on the inclines at the very end the jeep was loosing its power in 2nd? what should i do at the very top? plus also on a not inclines same happens the jeep starts to have trouble in 2nd?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

esp is off, but the sand is so soft the jeep looses all its speed at the end and sometimes stalls. So with 4lo 4th will the jeep have enough speed and power? won't it have slow speed but high rpms? and won't that put more straint on the jeep?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Q8
esp is off, but the sand is so soft the jeep looses all its speed at the end and sometimes stalls. So with 4lo 4th will the jeep have enough speed and power? won't it have slow speed but high rpms? and won't that put more straint on the jeep?
I don't know the gear ratios off the top of my head, but I'm thinkin' if 2nd gear is <2.72, then you'll have just a little more power. 4th gear (I'm assumin' a little here, so stand back) should be 1:1 (if you're driving a 6spd) and since the 4hi is at 1:1 at the tcase, your only variables would be the difference in 2nd gear and your low range in the tcase (2.72 unless you've got a Rubi).

You'll be fine.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Put nitrous on it.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i promise it is ur esp system. it can be "off" or "disabled" or fuse pulled wires cut module unplugged and guess what.. esp still kills u. notice ur tires aren't spinning when ur bogging down, and that ur tach stalls at 2700. i know the 3.8 is weak but there is no way any amount of sand can keep ur tires from spinning. that is all electronics buddy. the only way to get away from this is put it in 4Lo. and yes i have played on the dunes and know exactly what u mean. i was "stuck" one time with the pedal to the floor and no tire rotation whatsoever with esp "disabled" put it in 4 lo and got right out no issues. good luck sorry that jeep stole the fun of 4hi from us
Old 04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default Wait a Minute

I thought the esp had three settings, on, partial off, and full off. Partial off allows for a bit of spinning in loose stuff. Full off allows the brake lock differentials (sensors) to use all four wheels and disengages all other esp safety features. By holding the esp switch down for 5 seconds or so, it activates (turns off everything but brake locks). If this is done, couldn't it be that the little 3.8 is actually applying torque to all four wheels? If so, your original torque of 232 lbs ??? is divided by four. Could this be it? Not alot of torque to each wheel to spin.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by davebloomer
i promise it is ur esp system. it can be "off" or "disabled" or fuse pulled wires cut module unplugged and guess what.. esp still kills u. notice ur tires aren't spinning when ur bogging down, and that ur tach stalls at 2700. i know the 3.8 is weak but there is no way any amount of sand can keep ur tires from spinning. that is all electronics buddy. the only way to get away from this is put it in 4Lo. and yes i have played on the dunes and know exactly what u mean. i was "stuck" one time with the pedal to the floor and no tire rotation whatsoever with esp "disabled" put it in 4 lo and got right out no issues. good luck sorry that jeep stole the fun of 4hi from us
Yeah thats exactly it my foot was always floored on second and i thought that it should spin the wheels atleast but it was not and twice it stalled because it lost power. So in 4lo i could drive also fast? if am in 4th? because the amount of sand does not deserve slow riding its the sand where i should be cruising on. i hope you get what i mean. sorry i can't explain it better.

Quick Reply: 4x4 help