Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

5 Year Warranty/Failed

Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
Remove it, get the inspection, then put it back on. Just remember to remove it for any warranty work.
Easier said then done. All components need to come off including all electrical units, swiches, wires, brackets ect. It's more then taking two pins out and dropping the plow. I would have to have it done by the installer. And your talking close to a grand to take this on and off every time I go to the dealer. Nice throuht but not feasible.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested in hearing which clause of the lifetime powertrain warranty the dealer is using to fail your rig for further eligibility. There are some specific exclusions in Section 2.4(D) (police, taxi, limo, etc) and some specific uses (like racing) that are no-no's, but there is nothing in the warranty booklet about use as a snowplow.

I'm guessing it must fall under something nonspecific like "misuse." (Driving over curbs is "misuse", ha ha).
Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blade
If I'm not mistaken, isn't that illegal? I was always told that in order to deny warranty coverage, they have to prove the modification caused the part to fail. Might be worth looking in to.
While this is legally correct, if the dealership denies warranty it seems in practice you end up trying to prove your mod didn't cause the failure.

So you get to wrestle with Chrysler corporate and/or get legal counsel, trying to get them to convince the dealer to honor the warranty, which of course they don't really want to do either.

In the threads I have read where people have dealt with these dealers, some eventually got their warranty honored. However they may have had a non- drivable Jeep for months and it seemed stressful and a not fun process.

It all boils down to the individual dealership, so before you start modding it is something to consider.

I found it less stressful to mod however I like, consider the warranty is void and breakage will be out of pocket.

Last edited by Yankee; 12-18-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: 5 Year Warranty/Failed