Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

70K MPG Data on 2012 JKU

Old 04-05-2016, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts
Default 70K MPG Data on 2012 JKU

I've been keeping statistics since brand new. 2012 JKU sport. Manual Trans. 3.73 gearing. Max Tow package. Check out the charts. One includes MPG sorted and averaged by month. You can see the drop in MPG in cold months, and increase in warmer months. Whenever I towed, the MPG's dropped below 15, so I subtracted that data to see the results without towing.
Also, the data shows that regardless of tire changes, oil changes, air filter changes, diff service, trans service, etc - the data is simply scattered points. Nothing I have ever done results in an "AHA" moment where I can say there was any effect on MPG. I have to laugh when people say things like I put in a new air filter and saw a 2mpg increase. Nonsense. Unless you collect tons of data over time, you cannot make such a conclusion. The standard deviation of the non-towing data is 1.19 MPG (which means there is a large variation around the average).
On a sad note, I can see that I have spent $13867.98 on gas since buying this jeep new just over 4 yrs ago.
Enjoy my charts - feel free to comment. This should answer some folks questions on what MPG's our jku's actually get in real life.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MPG by month.png
Views:	79
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	642912   Click image for larger version

Name:	MPG raw data.png
Views:	74
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	642913   Click image for larger version

Name:	MPG towing removed.png
Views:	82
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	642914  
Old 04-05-2016, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Do you fuel up at the same station(s) consistently, outside of your towing fill ups as obviously they'd be out of town?

And do you have any 'zero ethanol' fills in there that you recall?

I hit every station in town and the largest factor on my mileage is 'sustained speed over 60mph'. If I keep it at or below 60mph, it's decent economy. Over 60mph and it begins to stop. Holding 75-80 yields 15mpg. Towing really didn't hurt the mileage as much as I thought it may. I calculate my mileage on every tank but I haven't put anything into a chart like you've got. Replacing exhaust manifolds and a faulty o2 sensor also had an impact on my mileage, positively.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

I am not loyal to any particular gas station. Always use regular. No stations around have non-ethanol so I've always got that crap in the tank. I'm in Central NJ. Drop in winter can be attributed to less efficient engine, longer warm up times, and additives in gas. My son is a Marine and some trips have been 100% highway. Interesting observation - my highest MPGs I ever see is the return trip from North Carolina. Some reason the trip down is not as high in MPG as the return trip. Maybe prevailing winds? My towing was a drastic drop because I was towing about 5000 pounds that was shaped like a brick.

Last edited by rob_engineer; 04-05-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
My towing was a drastic drop because I was towing about 5000 pounds that was shaped like a brick.
You were towing a jeep?
Old 04-05-2016, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Roflmao!!!!!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by OSkullivan
You were towing a jeep?
Almost.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4013881201.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	582.6 KB
ID:	642944  
Old 04-06-2016, 02:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Almost.
I Was just trying to make a funny of course hehe. I've always thought of my Jeeps as bricks.

I love numbers and your data is impressive.

It seems to want to indicate to me that they have so highly engineered the drive systems that environmental factors (what you tow/carry, gears, tranny, where you drive) and human intervention (how you drive) are almost statistically negligible.

All I know is every time I draft behind a Tesla, I wave and thank them for helping raise the average collectively

I googled "hyper-miling a Jeep" once and didn't get a lot of hits. As you can imagine.

I love my brick.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by OSkullivan
I Was just trying to make a funny of course hehe. I've always thought of my Jeeps as bricks. I love numbers and your data is impressive. It seems to want to indicate to me that they have so highly engineered the drive systems that environmental factors (what you tow/carry, gears, tranny, where you drive) and human intervention (how you drive) are almost statistically negligible. All I know is every time I draft behind a Tesla, I wave and thank them for helping raise the average collectively I googled "hyper-miling a Jeep" once and didn't get a lot of hits. As you can imagine. I love my brick.
Love my brick too. About the trailer I used to tow,I have posted before saying I was towing a brick with a brick. Mpg dropped down to around 10. Now I only tow occasionally a 5x8 landscape trailer with a touring Harley. Mpg drops to around 14.5.

Quick Reply: 70K MPG Data on 2012 JKU