Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

About to do something incredibly stupid...

Old 01-02-2014, 02:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to do something incredibly stupid...

So I'm about to do something incredibly stupid.

I'm tired of not getting to drive my jeep for significant amounts of time while I AM home, since I don't even have the OPTION when I'm not. This next trip home, I've plans for a ~1600-mile trip, possibly a bit longer with the incidental driving at the destination before returning. Instead of responsibly borrowing my mother's much more fuel-friendly car (even if it seriously needs new tires and an all-around checkup), I'm taking my Jeep. I've a 2011 Wrangler Sport 2dr (Oscar Mike), with the 6-speed. As I mentioned, I don't get to drive it. I bought it in 2010 and I've barely put 3k miles on it! Had a big fustercluck that screwed me out of getting it shipped to my duty station on the Army's dime, and I figured the ~$4k I would have spent on it would be better spent on the jeep itself anyway.
I know this is going to suck, but what can I do to make it better? I know I'll need to bring some things with me, like an extra quart or two of oil. I'm actually pulling my custom bumper off and putting the stock one back on with the air dam to save a bit of weight and fuel mileage. The actual trip isn't going to be so bad, since I've driven the route before and it's got few hills. On the other hand, the destination is urban (sub-urban, I'd suppose), and I'll be taking a side-trip through D.C. while I'm on the way back!

I have been looking at tires. Mine came with the stock Rubicon rims and tires, and they aren't too bad but I'd imagine there are better. Were I to change to something a little more road-friendly, I WOULD like them to still be capable off-road. I'd been highly considering the Duratracs. If I go the tire route, I'll be getting tires AND wheels, to save pain and keep the other set ready for mud wheeling. Costs a bit more, but worth it to me. I'm open to most tire sizes, since they'll be going on new wheels.

Also, do any of you think a Superchips programmer will help very much? I do like that it can fix the pedal lag, and it's only slightly more than the Sprintbooster while doing so much more.

Ha, I just realized I'm practically asking you guys to build a rig for me. Sorry for the rambling, it's late and I'm just getting some preparation done for the eventual trip. Luckily, I should have my tax return in time for it!

ETA:
Clarification on "don't get to drive it much when I AM home"; I often go on these road trips to visit friends and family whenever I get leave, as it costs less than a flight and I don't have to rent a car or be shuttled around when I visiting. It's from northeastern Tennessee to New Jersey (barely, it's on the PA border, last time I went straight through Philly), and a stop in D.C. for a couple days for a convention with some friends on the way back.

Last edited by cspradlin; 01-02-2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:58 AM
JK Super Freak

I didn't even finish reading your post. I eat 1600 miles for breakfast. You're over thinking it. Just drive.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check fluids, tire pressures . Grab coffee, Twinkies , Go ! Considering weather at this time of year , plus the fun factor of passing the econo boxes in the snow drifts , the JK is a the best choice . A Stranded Kit is good to take, shovel, blanket, matches, water , advice is endless .
Old 01-02-2014, 03:34 AM
JK Freak

I totally agree with 4w-jive, Jeeps are not fuel efficient unless youare lucky enought to have the Cummins 4BT conversion. You have choices either drive it or by a Prius, personally I will put a little more into the gas money fund.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ Yeah, what they said.. Resist the temptation to over-think it and go, don't waste the opportunity. Cheers!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I live in Oklahoma City. I have driven my Jeep to Maine, Georgia (multiple times), California (multiple times), Washington state (multiple times), Texas (Big Bend--way down there), Arizona, Utah (multiple times), and Colorado (multiple times). I agree with 4W-Jive: You're over-thinking this. Just ensure you've taken care of any preventative maintenance. If you haven't changed the oil, you might do that. And I wouldn't even bother with pulling off parts, unless you plan on pulling a lift and large tires. The extra fuel mileage gain from pulling a front bumper is almost immeasurable. Think about it: It's like you told your kid brother he can't go because you can't afford the gas.

And remember: It's not the destination. It's the journey. Find ways to make the journey interesting and fun. Take in some of this great country of ours (okay, this is back east and maybe not quite as great as out west, LOL). Two lane roads are much more fun than Interstates, and have far less truck traffic. And keep an eye out for some place to stop that you may not have never heard of. You never can tell what kind of tales you will have once you return home. It's a lot of fun to be a vagabond, even if only temporarily.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
I didn't even finish reading your post. I eat 1600 miles for breakfast. You're over thinking it. Just drive.
agreed. I drove a haul 26'er, 2500 miles across country and had to tow my Jeep. Painful!!! And, only got 6 miles to the gallon. Just do it man. As the whores say, YOLO!!! Lol!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

1600 miles / 30 mpg * $4/gal = $213
1600 miles / 15 mpg * $4/gal = $426

If these are close to your mpgs, you're spending $213 more to enjoy your Jeep. I wouldn't call that "incredibly stupid" at all.

I'm all for considering mpg when deciding on mods, but realize any mpg improvement tweak won't pay back for way more miles.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
You're over thinking it. Just drive.
Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
YOLO!!!
Just drive it and enjoy your trip!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Take this with a grain of salt, hopefully you are not offended. For the rest of us, there's some humor in your post, so please accept this ribbing as part of the Jeep brotherhood...

I'm not sure what prompted the late night man drama about driving your Jeep, but I can tell you, you're definitely over-thinking this. Just drive your damn Jeep.

You yourself stated your other option is to borrow your mother's car. What are you, 16? When you are an adult, you do not borrow mother's car, especially when it needs new tires and some maintenance. In fact, you should be seeing after mother's car, even if you don't pay for the fixes, at least help her get on top of those things. You are of the age where, if your mother was a good mother, you now start looking after her.

You do not need to buy new tires or swap bumpers for this 1600 mile trip. That's preposterous. Unless you're running 40" mud swampers, swapping tires for the Rubi tires on your Rubi wheels will return absolutely negligible fuel savings in the grand scheme of things. Provided they're in good shape, just leave them on. A bigger tire will suck fuel money right out of your pocket. Same with a programmer...For the $300 or whatever they cost, you might get 1-2 more mpg out of the deal if it's got an economy program. It might be worth doing in the long haul, but for your trip, it's not going to save you mega-millions.

Your Jeep - Check all the fluids, check the tire pressure and correct where necessary (do the spare, too). If the Jeep will come due for an oil change or anything else on the trip, take care of that stuff now. Fill up the tank, clean the windas, make sure you've got some tunes, load up, and haul' em out!

The weather is supposedly shit back East right now, so make sure you bring smart things like a pair of jumper cables, a blanket, if you've done modifications to your Jeep, make sure you have all the right stuff to do simple maintenance like change a tire on the side of the road. Bring a flashlight, some cash, good boots/shoes for walking in case you get stuck. Make sure your insurance is paid up. And give your mother a hug before you leave.

Quick Reply: About to do something incredibly stupid...