Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

About to do something incredibly stupid...

Old 01-02-2014, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember some of the POS old beaters I used to drive 2000+ miles across the US over the 20 years I was in the military. Between changing duty stations or just hopping in and running up to Michigan any time I had enough time off, I ran the roads in anything that would start.

Got caught in a snow storm coming from NC to MI in my 67 chevy Supersport one time (that thing was not good in the snow!). Had the tranny start spewing tranny fluid all over the exhaust on route 66 out west in my 64 Falcon Sprint, white smoke streaming behind me. Lost the rear ujoint on my old beater motor home climbing up to Flagstaff. Had my old Chevy van break down with all my stuff in the back 50 miles from a new duty station, middle of the night. Had to report in by morning, so yanked out my 175 Yamaha Enduro that was strapped in the back and reported in on time.

Funny thing is, my Jeep even with a 6.1 in it gets better mileage than anything I used to run the roads with.

Always got to where I was going. My advice is try and make sure you have enough money via a credit card or cash to fix or replace anything that might break. Then relax and stop worrying about gas mileage.

Prep what you can and just go for it. Sometimes the memories of adventures created by adversity are the best.

Last edited by Yankee; 01-02-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1600 isn't too bad. I have a 2010 sahara jku auto with the superchips flashpaq. On avg using fuel saver mode i am gaining 1.25-1.75 mpg. And it gets better. I took a road trip to AZ in it last year from SF bay area and about 1/2 way during the trip i was getting 21-22mpg! Amazing i know and yes thats based off the dashboard cou but i was calculating gas cost and miles too to back it up. Long trips on the highway steadily increase mpg. Id go for the computer. Also don't worry about it. You're absolutely right for wanting to drive it long distance. Jeep!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its winter travel stock up on emergency gear. But otherwise go for it.
I just did 1700 miles in mine from utah to kentucky. I brought a sleeping bag, coveralls, stuff to keep me warm because I slept in the jeep. Lots of snacks cause im a fat ass and like to eat, and plenty of drinks to wash it down.
07 4 dr with 5:38's and 37 trail grapplers got me 13 mpg average and was 335 dollars in fuel.

Im doing the same trip back here in about a week.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive it have fun. As far as tires duratracs are great as well as falken wildpeaks. Given the choice of the two and what your post says I'd take the wildpeaks. Good luck
Old 01-02-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring ur doors and top, its gonna be chilly

Other than that advise, get in and drive. Should be jesss fine!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not 16, though not too far removed. 21 isn't too far, I suppose, in the average adult male lifespan. Don't own anything more fuel-efficient (don't OWN anything else at all! I just happen to drive and take care of my late grandfather's truck till I bought the Jeep), so of course I borrow when I need to. I do take care of her car, but I'm rarely home more than two weeks in the entire year, sometimes I don't even manage that. Really ought to be done by my twin brother who still lives at home, but he's "too busy" with college, I guess. Though he gets more than weekends off most of the time. Jeez, I'm happy with an occasional three-day weekend or getting out of work before we hit hour 13!

Some of the things mentioned are planned for eventually anyway. I do not like the Rubi tires (like the wheels, though) for anything but mud and trails, but the Jeep is my DD when I'm there. They haven't done well in some of the conditions I've driven in. I'm not going now, it'll be mid-February, but it's not like the weather will be better. Flashpaq for a number of different things, tires for traction and maybe a slightly quieter ride, and so forth. From all reviews I've seen here and elsewhere, both the Duratracs and the Wildpeaks get great reviews on and off the road. My experience with the T/A KM on-road was "normal", but they got a bit squirrel-y on me in some wet conditions and I did not like that at all. Since I'm expecting at least SOME snow (more slush and ice I'd bet), I would likely something better. While I would like to keep the wheels, the sizes aren't really available in the tires I have looked at.

Actually, I haven't considered going for bigger tires. I might not ever. While I do ride trails, I'm not so big on rocks and deep mudholes. I generally do easier trails since it's still mostly stock and I'm an amateur (to jeeping AND manual transmissions), and I've tackled some harder stuff and been amazed at what my Jeep can do sitting on the stock suspension with the swaybar still hooked up and the stock 32"s. I don't even have the rubi transfer case and gears! I'll probably stay on 32"s or 31"s till I reach a skill level or desire that causes me to change it because they are no longer capable enough.

And for a Stranded Kit, I've generally always kept one. I rotate the items in it out based on age and season. Don't need my longjohns when it's solidly in the 80s or higher at night! I prefer to be prepared than caught flat-footed. Luckily, I have a boon of winterwear and experience thanks to being stuck in Alaska for almost four years now.

Quick Reply: About to do something incredibly stupid...