Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Adding a car seat to my JK unlimited

Old 04-27-2019, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a car seat to my JK unlimited

Hi everyone, I currently have my son in a booster seat but will soon be adding an infant seat to my 4 door JK. The car seat that we had for my older son does t seem to fit comfortably on the side, so we are on the hunt for something new. What infant seats did you use behind passenger or driver seats?
Old 04-27-2019, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ratcheting motorcycle strap works fine.....
Old 04-28-2019, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I had a Graco in the 2 door, it was fine. Congrats on the infant!
Old 04-29-2019, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I bought my jeep well after infant stage, but in general that rear seat is not very accommodating. One thing that might be worth considering is looking at rear seat recline blocks. Basically just delrin blocks that go between the tub and the rear seat legs and rotate the seat back just a little....which I would think could give you a slight be more clearance in regards to a rearward facing car seat.

on a side note, I never liked how the rear seat belt landed on kinds in a booster....it always seemed to be on their neck. I found that using seat belt extenders really helped place the belt over their shoulder instead. That obviously changes the tension points a bit, so something you have to consider, but I felt it was more important to keep the seat belt off their dang necks.

Congrats on the kiddo.....be safe with em in there.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I used a Safety 1st rearward facing seat. It came as a 3in1 stroller infant car seat combo. It basically had a cradle latch base, the base got tied down to the rear seat and you latched the carrier seat into it. Made getting the kid in and out pretty simple. Unlatch the carrier seat from the base, and set the kid still in the seat into the stroller.

I installed it behind the driver seat, since that's the smaller side of the 60/40 split rear seat, so it allowed more access to the rear if needed. No reason it couldn't have been installed on the passenger side or in the middle.

Quick Reply: Adding a car seat to my JK unlimited