Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Adding front mud flaps???

Old 10-28-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't even know these existed??? The roads get so crappy here in the winter months I think I'm going to pick a set of the front ones up myself just to add a little protection from all of the stuff that gets flung up.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by shredX
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have the Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails and love them. They just don't stop much from spraying the door handles.

I never even thought about the tiny rocks that my tires throw around.
Have to be careful or my left elbow gets sandblasted.
Yeah i know the feeling i have the pure jeep sliders and theres a gap in the bar where mud rocks sand ect gets shot through and goes right up the side of the jeep. I thought about welding a cut piece of metal to it to cover the gap but decided against it.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had front Mud flaps / Mud guards for exactly reason you need 'em. They were attached easily with a couple of screws and washers through the flap into the stock plastic inner fenders, also making them simple to remove/install again if needed.

Neither Rock rails or stock JK steps prevent winter slush + salt spraying up the doors or getting underneath into chassis, so I used a cheap set from JCW approx 10-12 inches wide.

I say 'had' as I've since chopped the fenders and there's not much of the inners left (only part still have protects the engine bay from slush).

I've a set of 24x24" trailer flaps from northern tool on order that ill cut down into shape and mount in all four wheel-wells once eastcoast snow arrives.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just noticed we've the same tires, 35" MTZs. Don't ya love the rooster tail they throw to the guy behind in the rain. . Need mud flaps before guy behind is a cop.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by westchester
Just noticed we've the same tires, 35" MTZs. Don't ya love the rooster tail they throw to the guy behind in the rain. . Need mud flaps before guy behind is a cop.
Too funny. I may have to get some trailer flaps for the rear. The mopar flaps wii not mount to the steel rear bumper.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

i am running the Jeep molded flaps as well. I found that they caught a lot of wind on the highway and "flapped" around a little. and caked pretty heavy with snow, so i cut 2.5" off the bottoms of the bottoms - work well now!
Old 10-29-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DesignMonkey
i am running the Jeep molded flaps as well. I found that they caught a lot of wind on the highway and "flapped" around a little. and caked pretty heavy with snow, so i cut 2.5" off the bottoms of the bottoms - work well now!
you must driver really fast or you didnt put them on properly or tightly.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

nope, they are in right, just catch wind like a scoop.. rattled against the rock rails and flex with the plastic fenders as they do not bolt to anything real solid
Old 10-30-2009, 12:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

The first year I took the unlimited to the mtn i ended up having chipped rear door hindges from all the rocks so I went out and bought the sahara running boards and have had no problems since(went a season with them)
Old 10-30-2009, 03:59 AM
JK Newbie

I am also very impressed with how well the Sahara style steps do at catching 95% of the crud that used to get on the side of the Jeep.

Quick Reply: Adding front mud flaps???