Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Adjusting a/c power outlet

Old 02-03-2015, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting a/c power outlet

2011 JK
So it would seem that the regular a/c power outlet provided can handle just bare minimum of power, it's actually pretty weak.
Is there a way to increase the power by either a simple mod or installing a whole new unit?
I have a high powered laptop, amongst other things, that tend to shut it down when attempting to use. I need roughly 2500-3000w to run steadily.
Any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Erikwt
... I need roughly 2500-3000w to run steadily.....
Seriously? That's more power than a typical household outlet provides. That must be a heckuva laptop. Just a tidbit to consider: To provide 3000 watts you'll need 250 amps at 12 volts. And you'll need that at the power inverter, so the longer your run, the larger your wire to minimize voltage drop. You're looking at cabling roughly the size of that running to your starter or winch. And your battery life at that draw will be nil. Maybe you should be looking into generators.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Seriously? That's more power than a typical household outlet provides. That must be a heckuva laptop. Just a tidbit to consider: To provide 3000 watts you'll need 250 amps at 12 volts. And you'll need that at the power inverter, so the longer your run, the larger your wire to minimize voltage drop. You're looking at cabling roughly the size of that running to your starter or winch. And your battery life at that draw will be nil. Maybe you should be looking into generators.
Yeah it is a heck of a laptop and draws alot but not just for that but for other equipment. I'm probably going to be just adding one rather than modding the existing one. My thought was running off a second alternator if that was possible.

Quick Reply: Adjusting a/c power outlet