Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Adjusting Speedo

Old 09-12-2014, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adjusting Speedo

I just put MT ATZ P3's on my 09 that are 315/70/17 and my local dealership is unable to adjust my speedometer. Right now it is running 4 miles an hour slow at 40 mph. This is based on my GPS unit. Other than going out and buying a programmer how can I get this adjusted? And if the dealership with their programmer can't adjust up to the tires I have what programmer will be the least expensive?

And before someone says it I DON'T "want to deal with it"
Old 09-12-2014, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Unfortunately you will need a programmer.

I have a ProCal and it seems to work very well.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the programmer. The ProCal isn't too expensive, and it can do some helpful things with regards to lift and tires.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The dealer should be able to program it for 32s (which is what a Rubi comes with), which would get you pretty darned close (and probably right on as the tires wear down). Also, the Rubi 32s are pretty large. A set of Rubi 32s was larger than the Dick Cepek FC II 33s I used to run when compared side-by-side. Standard procedure with a programmer (ProCal, Hypertech, etc) is to measure the height of the tire from the ground to where the tire makes its sharp break into the tread--not to the bulged out top part of the tread in the tire center. You might measure that and ask the dealer if they can set the tire height to that.

By the time you're done with that, though, you'll probably have spent more than for buying the programmer. ProCal is modestly priced. Minor pain in the rear to use because you have to reference a chart, then set dip switches. Hypertech asks questions, you answer, and it walks you through the setup. But, not all programmers do all things. If you decide on one, ensure you get one with the features you want (and take any MPG/HP/Torque gain numbers with a grain of salt).
Old 09-13-2014, 02:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

When I set my tire diameter in the ProCal, I measured it this way to remove all other variables:

Inflate the tires to your chosen normal pressure.
Stick a piece of chalk in the tread.
Roll the JK enough to make two chalk marks on the pavement.
Measure between the chalk marks and divide by 3.1416.

That will be the diameter the computer needs to know.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
When I set my tire diameter in the ProCal, I measured it this way to remove all other variables:

Inflate the tires to your chosen normal pressure.
Stick a piece of chalk in the tread.
Roll the JK enough to make two chalk marks on the pavement.
Measure between the chalk marks and divide by 3.1416.

That will be the diameter the computer needs to know.
That's awesome! Best to do this with the tires warm?

Finally a use for pi other than eating.

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-13-2014 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks to all for the help, looks like I am buying a programmer Monday. Right now using my numbers from my GPS I am off driving 1.1 miles (GPS) for ever 1 on odometer. Have a 2500 mile road trip coming up, would not like to have my odometer off by 10%.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Speedo