Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Advice for the Noob: Rims and Tires

Old 03-26-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for the Noob: Rims and Tires

I have a X Unlimited with 17" stock rims and Wrangler tires. The tires suck, at least when out in the mud and loose stuff. I already scuffed a rim, but I may just swap it to my spare, no whoop.

Without a lift, on my stock rims for now, what won't rub and still be a bit bigger (taller/wider)? What tire is good for pavement and a bit of mild off-roading or trail running, better than the Wranglers? And Affordable - budget, but also I may go up sooner rather than later or get something dedicated for wheeling on it's own rims.

To be honest, until I can get some more armor on underneath and a mild lift for a bit more clearance, re-locate the evap maybe or what ever, front disconnect, I doubt I do too much wheeling like I did at RC last weekend; I got lucky I believe, looking at my dinged up and scraped armor and the couple of good nicks on my front transfer, not going to push it again. Still, something that is more capable than my Wranglers while not sacrificing too much pavement handling or making a ton more road noise.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you invest in some spacers 1 to 1.5" for your stock 17's to push out the tire from the suspension components. You can fit 33x12.50 tire and have no rubbing issues lock to lock steering. However, you will only be able to do some mild off-road flexing as the tire may have some rubbing issues on the rear stock fenders with 12.50 wide tire. If you go with a 285/70R17 (33x11.5 wide tire you should have no issues rubbing and may have some mild rubbing flexing.

If you are mainly on the pavement vs. dirt look at a All-terrain tire BUT if want that really aggressive look get a Mud terrain.

Good All-terrain tires to consider:

Dick Cepek FC-II great all-terrain tire with aggressive looks and ran these with great success...great wearing, quiet and good off-road traction.

others brands to consider:

Mickey T ATZ
Procomp X-treme AT
BFG AT's

Mud-terrain tires:

Toyo Open Country M/T - awesome tire, great wearing, quiet, great sidewall...drawbacks price and weight...but you get what you pay for!!!!

Cooper STT - Great tire as well, quiet and fairly reasonable price.

Nitto Mud Grappler - Best looking M/T on the market IMHO, not sure about wear, fairly noisey and somewhat pricey...again you get what you pay for!

BFG KM2 - many in the forum have been impressed with these tires...but no experience with them.

Mickey T MTZ's - Some have good luck with this tire...but I had poor wear, chunking and flat tires when I ran them.

Procomp X-treme Mud-terrain - sharp looking M/T
Old 03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second everything said above and would like to add one more tire for your consideration. The Cooper ST (not stt). It is a very aggresive all-terrain, looks good, wears well, is available in alot of sizes and ist to expensive.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Just my 2 cents...I got installed the BFG'S KM M/T tires before
winter i thought they were awesome...Just installed today my
new wheels Ultra Motorsports 17 x 8 rims with BFG KM M/T
Ruby size tires and i love it...These tires are not to noisy and
look killer...Remember just my 2 cents...Good Luck...
Old 03-26-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Find yourself a set of Rubicon stock take off wheels and tires for now. The tires will be much better than the stock GSA, (get stuck always) tires. That should hold you for a little while, in the mean time start stocking up on armor of your going to continue to play in the rocks with us at RC. You saw what I was driving on at RC on Sunday, no way I would be doing that without the armor I have on my Jeep.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

All good info, thanks!

Quick Reply: Advice for the Noob: Rims and Tires