Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Advice !!! please help

Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice !!! please help

Hello all, I have a personal question to ask all of you and any help is appreciated. I have a 2007 jk rubicon that my father gave me for my 20th birthday. Jeep is my kind of car and i love the hell out of these vehicles i plan of doing alot in the future with a wrangler always at my side. but I hate to have such an awesome vehicle given to me without earning it myself. plus my father is a crazy asshole that told me he hopes i run it into a tree and die the day of my birthday when he was supposed to give it to me. but he went nuts and drove it all the way back home 500 miles away. he did and said all this because he thought i didn't put insurance on the jeep, which i did and it costed me 400 for 2 months. so later that week he changed his mind and decided to give it to me but the only way i could get it is if i pay for a plane ticket to fly over there and get it and drive it back. my birthday present doesn't seem so much like a present at all to me. plus my dad didn't even give it to me in full, he placed himself as the lienholder on the jeep and me as the registered owner. I don't even own it completely. Im a good kid, im in college, i have a great paying job that is full time and i work hard to make my money. my dad gave up on me long ago and now he thinks he can make a relationship with me by giving me this vehicle. it might seem like it would but no, it doesn't at all. so what i am thinking of doing is giving him his precious jeep back, driving my old car around for commuting for school and work, saving up then buying my own tj or 07 with MY own money and earning it, modding it, fixing it, myself. or i could keep the 07. can anyone help?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know man. Maybe he wants to know that by you buying a ticket to get it really means you will appreciate his gift. maybe he cant afford the jeep and needs someone to takeover the payments. A car is a big gift. and if your paying 400 in 2 months for ins then thats way tooooo much.

Sounds like he is making an effort and dont know how to deal with the situation. You sound like a good kid. If it were me. Id be straight up with him and tell him. you dont want it if hes gonna be like that. Its either gonna be yours or not. If not get your own and not have to worry about him taking it back.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 AM
JK Newbie

idk man hes a messed up guy. he gave it to me but he doesn't allow me to enjoy it to the fullest. id rather earn something for myself cause im a man and that's what i do. maybe i could get a tj and mod it myself but that means not having the 07 anymore which is supped up with a lot of awesome equipment. still something im thinking about doing tho
but thanks for the reply i appreciate it
Old 03-21-2012, 01:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow,
as far as your dad saying he hopes you hit a tree and die thats totally messed up.
Getting an 07 jk for a 20th b-day present is pretty extravagent,i think i got a new jacket and free dinner on my 20th.
Any way i think you always appreciate things better when you earn them yourself.
I,m not sure of your relationship with your dad and if you even want to go there,but have you thought of offering to pay something for the jeep because it is such an extravagent gift,possibly small payments that you can afford or something like that.
Good luck whatever you decide
Old 03-21-2012, 01:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya if my dad played mind trick games with me and told me he hopes I die, I'd punch him in his neck and tell him to go phuck himself
Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkdave713
Wow,
as far as your dad saying he hopes you hit a tree and die thats totally messed up.
Getting an 07 jk for a 20th b-day present is pretty extravagent,i think i got a new jacket and free dinner on my 20th.
Any way i think you always appreciate things better when you earn them yourself.
I,m not sure of your relationship with your dad and if you even want to go there,but have you thought of offering to pay something for the jeep because it is such an extravagent gift,possibly small payments that you can afford or something like that.
Good luck whatever you decide
because of money issues growing up i never got anything so getting this jeep was so exciting, but after i got it, i realized i want to earn something that amazing instead of having it handed to me. im still thinking about it and its all coming to me as a learning experience. one day ill have the knowledge to make my decision 100 percent
Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiPrata07

because of money issues growing up i never got anything so getting this jeep was so exciting, but after i got it, i realized i want to earn something that amazing instead of having it handed to me. im still thinking about it and its all coming to me as a learning experience. one day ill have the knowledge to make my decision 100 percent
Sounds to me although maybe not conventionaly you have learned lessons. One of the most valuable lessons you have learned from not having a lot from growing up is respect for what you have. You seem very mature for 20 and You already have the answer, you want to earn what is yours. I would save and buy or offer him a fair price for the Rubi. Good luck
Old 03-21-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by greenrescue
Sounds to me although maybe not conventionaly you have learned lessons. One of the most valuable lessons you have learned from not having a lot from growing up is respect for what you have. You seem very mature for 20 and You already have the answer, you want to earn what is yours. I would save and buy or offer him a fair price for the Rubi. Good luck
but buying my own tj and lifting it and adding everything i want and need to offroad and enjoy my OWN jeep would be such a better experience to me. im kind of new to jeeps and only know some of tj jeeps and alot of jk jeeps so i still have to do more research to see what i will get with the tj if i give back the jk. if anything id just update everything on the tj to more up to date equipment
Old 03-21-2012, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Earn it. That way it your's and no one can hold it over you. You will have the pride in knowing you worked for it. Tell dear old dad, thanks but no thanks. If he is playing games now he will play games later.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Listen to your heart and your head.

Once you think you've made a decision, sleep on it.

You're clearly not an idiot, and have a good set of morals or you wouldn't care about earning it.

No one knows your situation better then you do, so I'd be hesitant to follow too much advice on the matter.

I think you've already made up your mind.

Quick Reply: Advice !!! please help