Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Advice for soft top for summer

Old 04-19-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for soft top for summer

Well it's heating up pretty fast down south, and I need to ditch the hard top until the winter.

My JEEP came with every option except dual top, so I'm in need of a lighter soft top. Any suggestions? I've read mixed reviews about the best top being better and worse than the factory top. I've also read about bikinis and wind jammers, will these be adequate to stop unexpected summer showers? I'd like to be able to stow it and put it up rapidly. I'm trying to go for as weather proof as possible. Any other options in leaving out?

I'm also looking for a set of half doors aswell, so it would be great if anyone could suggest a place to buy everything together.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Oh... 2010 JK unlimited sahara.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

There are several options I know of for an Unlimited:

1. Softtop. Probably about the best deal you can get on this is off the for sale threads here on the forum. They go for around $500--often times never used.

2. Bestop Trektop. I can't speak from experience, but those who have it seem to like it. And it should keep you reasonably sealed up.

3. Safari top/2-door Wraparound Windjammer/Duster. I know you have a four door, but there is not a 4-door Wraparound Windjammer. The 4-door Windjammer (note the missing word "Wraparound") does not seal up the back. The 2-door Wraparound Windjammer (not the 2-door Windjammer--again note the missing word) can be made to fit an Unlimited. There are threads about it, but the short version is either stretch it to fit, or have an upholstery shop sew in some extra material. The disadvantage is the reduced visibility out the rear. There are extensive discussions in numerous threads about which safari top, etc. I strongly recommend you research those--lest my post go to four pages in length to cover all the possibilities, wherewithalls, etc.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check Craigslist for people that want to sell without the need to get $900 for it.

For larger stuff I looked closer to my area. But little things I search the US by going to craiglook or something similar.

One clown on CL wrote me a nasty little email cause I offered him $500 for his '08 soft top that he was "firm at $900, because a new one is $1600."

I ended up buying a new (2008) top from a guy who didn't even have a wrangler anymore and was moving so he didn't care what they sell for new. I offered him $150 since he didn't have the windows. I bought the windows from a guy in Indiana off Craigslist for $170 shipped (also new in the box).

The kicker is buying the brackets that go on the cage. The brackets from the parts dept were $20 a piece but the 4 screws I needed were $7 each! And I had to drive to two different dealerships to get all four.

So, in two days I pieced together:
Craigslist - Soft top with door surrounds - $150
Craigslist - Windows - $170
MOPAR - Brackets and Screws - $70
= $390

Love it! And I still have my hard top for longer trips and colder months.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check on Craiglist, or check the for sale section on the forum and you may find a OEM Softop for a good deal or price. I lucked out and found a guy selling his JKU and sold the softop seperately for $150.00

Just be sure when you buy used you get the door surrounds with 4 large plastic screws to secure to the roll bar, two clips for the back of the tub, 2 side windows, 1 rear window with bar to slip into the clips. Also, 4 torx screws to mount the softop to the roll bar.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

It seems that the general consensus so far is to get a factory soft top if I can....

I kind of like the look of the safari top with windjammer more, but I suppose I'll settle for what I can find and make work. I want it khaki in color.

So is the factory top best to keep out the weather? There was one on crags for 400 not too long ago. Thanks for your help so far.

Last edited by apache137; 04-20-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
3. Safari top/2-door Wraparound Windjammer/Duster.
Does the Windjammer allow the front seat to be pushed back all the way? Looks like it might interfere.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2 on craigslist...i always see them on there. i love mine. its easy to put up/down it doesnt really leak. just a good summer top
Old 04-21-2010, 04:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm not a fan of the factory soft top, all those bars and crap, I use a trek top. mines a 2 dr and love it and i have read that most of the 4 dr users love theirs to. No matter what you choose there will always be some one that doesn't like what you got for some reason. Early trek tops had some issues but i believe all is well now and by the way, Best top makes the factory top for chrysler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubi with trek top 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	62231  
Old 04-21-2010, 04:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
Does the Windjammer allow the front seat to be pushed back all the way? Looks like it might interfere.
I own a four door, but have read from two door owners that your perception is correct--the seat movement is restricted.

Quick Reply: Advice for soft top for summer