Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Are aftermarket parts TOO overbuilt?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:31 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I know that we see many control arms overbuilt by suspension manufacturers. I will be the first to admit that I want something that can take a beating, but at the same time I would rather bend a control arm prior to ripping a mount off the frame or axle (it is easier to replace a control arm than a mounting bracket). It is just a fine line that the companies need to walk to make sure their parts are tough enough without being too tough. Also if they know that their part is stronger than the mounting points then they know they can probably offer a lifetime warranty against abuse, which tends to sell stuff.
How many control arms would a company sell if they advertised they designed them to be the "weak link"?
Failure point management may be something OEM manufacturers design in, but when the consumer sees something break, they want to replace it with a part that won't break. That's what the average joe wants, so the after market folks cater to that.

Quick Reply: Are aftermarket parts TOO overbuilt?