Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

alarm System?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarm System?

Hey everyone, I'm about to buy a 2008 jeep wrangler sport. I should have it by monday. It will have a soft top---my question to you is is there a recommended alarm system to buy in order to deter a car thief? Or should I not bother buying it?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

I got one of these!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3927110662.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	559393  
Old 06-14-2014, 12:45 AM
JK Newbie

Haha, so does that mean it's not worth buying?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't even bother, soft top is a zipper away from breaching, alarm or not. Hard top is a little more difficult, but very easy for someone that know what they're doing. If you ever have your doors off you'll get used to not worrying about it.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 06-14-2014, 05:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so having a good alarm system myself I don't agree with not bothering. It really depends on what you want to spend. The vipers are great and you can get 2 way communication and set the sensitivity to your liking. You can also get then with remote start as an added benefit. Mine is set pretty sensitive so you can barely bump it and it goes off. Which alerts my keychain so I will know if something is going on. Viper has a pretty good range too depending on which model you get.

You can also get the cell module for it and download the viper app. That way it alerts the phone. Thinking it might show the location also. And it can be started from anywhere. As long as you have cell signal.

I have autopage myself but it was already installed when I bought the jeep. I activate mine with the doors off just to see if someone will mess with it. I will know if they do. They aren't going to lean in or be able to grab anything without setting it off.

Like I said depends on what features you want and how much your willing to spend.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jessjones92
Hey everyone, I'm about to buy a 2008 jeep wrangler sport. I should have it by monday. It will have a soft top---my question to you is is there a recommended alarm system to buy in order to deter a car thief? Or should I not bother buying it?
It's kind of like asking everyone's favorite color -- My vote is for a real basic cheap alarm like this: Gorilla Automotive 3057/2057 - Gorilla Basic Electric Vehicle Alarm - Quadratec It just wires to the battery. Suggest not locking the doors with a soft top, and park at the front of stores & restaurants.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:50 AM
JK Newbie

I understand what you're saying, but why shouldn't I lock the doors with a soft top?
Old 06-15-2014, 03:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jessjones92
I understand what you're saying, but why shouldn't I lock the doors with a soft top?
cause if they want to get in and you have a soft top then you will have a broken in jeep with your soft top cut. Dont lock your doors, you just have a broken in jeep.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm with dunnybunny on this. I have a soft top. Mine was getting broken into A LOT more frequently than I thought. I just didn't care cause in never left anything in it. The very first night I came home with the viper alarm (which has a proximity sensor so it'll give your jeep and key chain a warning jingle even if you just put your hand in the window) I was chasing a thief out of the neighbor hood in my boxer briefs at 3am.

Deff worth getting.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just have the factory alarm system (which basically equals nothing I'm sure). Gotta love proximity alarm systems that go off each time a delivery truck goes by, be sure your battery isn't going. Unfortunately some areas are more prone to theft and fortunately I don't live in those areas. Hopefully some one will find something that will work for you. If not, I find snakes do a pretty good job and unlike dogs actually thrive in the hot hours of the day.

Quick Reply: alarm System?