Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

All future Jeep models to be built in China?

Old 11-01-2012, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gort
What's your source to indicate that there's no truth in it at all?

The source saying it's true is Bloomberg. The source saying it's false is you. I think we're going to need a bit more than your word for it.
His source IS the Bloomberg article. It clearly states that the chinese Jeep manufacturing would augment current US output, not replace it. The confusion is that the article says Chrysler will manufacture all Jeep models in China. That doesn't mean production stops in the US, it means that they'll start to manufacture more than the two models they currently produce there.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read this:

Chrysler CEO calls out Romney over 'inaccurate' Jeep ads - Business on NBCNews.com

Jeeps are staying here.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScruffyRubicon
I have read it -- it doesn't say anything about all Jeep production staying in the US -- all is says is that production for vehicles sold domestically is not moving to China. Which would be expected after the backlash.

Now read this

Marchionne Seen Missing Fiat Sales Target by $19 Billion - Businessweek

Some production for domestically-sold vehicles is going to Italy instead.

Now go back and re-read Marchionne's blog post. Note how he's careful to say that production will never COMPLETELY leave the US.

He continued: “Jeep is one of our truly global brands with uniquely American roots. This will never change. So much so that we committed that the iconic Wrangler nameplate, currently produced in our Toledo, Ohio plant, will never see full production outside the United States.”

Read between the lines here. Regardless of where it goes, it's obvious there are plans to produce Jeep products outside the US for sale IN the US.

Ten years from now, whatever has been said now will be forgotten and the jobs will be flying offshore. The whole China issue in the new is simply, IMO, a misdirection so Marchionne can save the European auto industry by giving them American jobs.

Bailout = fail.

Last edited by Gort; 11-02-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Default That's what I'm sayin'

I don't care if they say Jeeps for sale over there will be made over there, that still means those Jeeps won't be made over here. I'd rather see Jeeps made over here for sale over there so people over here can get off unemployment and food stamps.

Whoever is elected the next president will inherit the worst economy in this country's history.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Kinda like the current guy did?

It's the automotive norm to assemble the vehicles on the continent they're sold in. So I don't have any problems with them building and selling there and sending the profits here. Just like I don't mind buying iPhones over samsungs. Atleast the engineering, design and profits are American.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

I'm not an american citizen like most of you, but looking at your country situation from the outside I wonder why your government isn't acting to stop the selling of your companies to foreign countries and most important why your government isn't acting to prevent big companies like Apple from manufacturing everything in China. It's absurd!
There should be a law that forces American companies to stay American!
I own a Jeep that was made in America by people that love their jobs and feel proud of what they do inside the same factory in Ohio where all jeeps have been manufactured since ever, and won't ever buy a chinese made car, made by ants inside a sweat shop working under a whip just to earn a few cents.

Quick Reply: All future Jeep models to be built in China?