Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

All new drivers should start learning with a Jeep!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All new drivers should start learning with a Jeep!

Funny or not...

My second son, 16, has been learning how to drive. Up to now, he's been using my wife Hyundai Accent

It's been a few weeks, he's still a bit nervous but he's getting better every time, practice makes perfect. Anyway, to make a long story short, last Sunday, while coming back home from a lil' drive around the neighborhood, I asked him to park reverse in the driveway. He did everything fine but he forgot about that concrete shoulder around the street and I, too, forgot to remind him, so he did drove too close to it while placing the car to be straight to drive back in the parking spot: we heard "BOOM"!!! He hit the concrete shoulder at around 3 to 5 mph. The Hyundai nose is too close to the ground. He hit it on front passenger side. Just a small hit but the bumper got loose and the radiator and bar that holds it bent... Let's say some quite expensive damages for a very small hit (radiator, ac/dc condenser, holding bar)! Good Lord, I got a not too bad insurance and I don't have done any claim in the past 10 years so I declared it... But...

Lesson learned: the JKU would have just rolled over that contrete thing and we would have only felt a lil' bump!

Guess what: he's going to start learning manual this coming weekend!

Wife and I started joking we should trade that cheapo Hyundai for a 2 door JK...
Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

It's even scarier though with the kid possibly messing up the JKU. Good luck. Someday I'll have my turn as a parent
Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

i'm gonna teach my kids how to drive in my jeep. by then it will be old and i won't be scared they'll mess anything up. but i think it will be good for them to learn on a manual transmission. then they can drive whatever they want when they get a car. but when i teach them it will be in the jeep
Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

My two older boys learned the basics on the family truckster (a Honda Odyssey). But my other two vehicles are both sticks, and old 99 VW Jetta (5spd V6) and my JKU (6spd 3.8L). It was either learn to drive a stick or walk. I had a standing offer of $100 cash if they could drive the Jetta 100 yards without stalling it out 5 times on their first attempt driving a stick. Wouldn't you know it, both did fine (but then got cocky and couldn't make it 25 ft afterwards without stalling). But I paid up. Now they are confident stick drivers in either vehicle and appreciate it. I purposely got my JKU with a stick just in case the Jetta died, I'd still have stick they could learn on. Now I just have my younger two to go. Man I hope the Jetta survives through them.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:16 PM
R13
JK Newbie

im 16 and i learned how to drive on the jeep. i have done some mistakes that would have damaged a normal car.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I learned to drive when I was 11 in a SUV offroad but the 1st time I drove stick was when I was 17 and I saved up for a 1996 Camaro SS, not exactly the best car to learn stick on. Once I figured out how to drive stick I won't buy a car unless it's a stick
Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I learned to drive on my Dad's Cherokee Sport and it was a manual I think his was a 92
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

My daughter learned to drive in the Jeep. First time she drove it she was having trouble getting used to the PSC steering assist (touchey if you're not used to it) and they had the road near our house down from 2 lanes to one. She took out about 20 construction zone markers (those orange plastic posts). It was pretty darn funny. No damage to the Jeep whatsoever.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

My step dad taught me how to drive a standard with his old 85 CJ threw a field when I was 14 but I had been driving down the street before then in my moms car. Gotta love small towns I'm 24 now and finally was able to by my own JKUS living it.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I learned in a xj with long arm lift kit on it . Needless to say almost ten years later later I park on ever curb I can

Quick Reply: All new drivers should start learning with a Jeep!