JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Almost died last night (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/almost-died-last-night-49015/)

jldx75 07-24-2008 03:08 PM

Almost died last night

I live in the armpit of texas....Houston. Last night i was driving to work in a monsoon and hit a small puddle on the feeder. My X hydroplaned and went about 3 lanes over until i corrected it. I was in 3 gear not flying just driving normal. Scared me almost as much as the girl in the accord in the next lane.

Anyone else experience hydroplaning in a Jeep? I have the 23s package with 17 inchers Goodyear. I've only had the Jeep since the end of June so i'm still kind of new on how it handles.

thissideup 07-24-2008 04:42 PM

Mine scared me as well. The way I see it no matter what you drive and how good the tires are you will hydo if you hit water a few inches deep at speed. A stone may not float but it sure loves to skip gived the right angle and speed.

oZmonKey 07-24-2008 04:45 PM

Get some BFG Ta/Ko's stat! (Difference of night and day in the rain)

The stock tires are a health hazard as you have just experienced for yourself.

kane516 07-24-2008 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by jldx75 (Post 611112)
I live in the armpit of texas....Houston. Last night i was driving to work in a monsoon and hit a small puddle on the feeder. My X hydroplaned and went about 3 lanes over until i corrected it. I was in 3 gear not flying just driving normal. Scared me almost as much as the girl in the accord in the next lane.

Anyone else experience hydroplaning in a Jeep? I have the 23s package with 17 inchers Goodyear. I've only had the Jeep since the end of June so i'm still kind of new on how it handles.

I had some on an 02 F150 FX4 (Off-road package) and I punctured one on asphalt before my first payment. It was punctured by a rock??

Hydroplaning can be scary, and you can't forsee it.

mikeyfl 07-24-2008 05:10 PM

i was driving in a downpour the other day... didnt hydroplane, but hit the water and had a nice white out. couldnt see a damn thing and drove a little off the shoulder. :eek2:

Bronco_Bustin 07-24-2008 05:51 PM

This is close to hydroplaning, over the winter I was up on Big Bear mountain heading down the back side towards the high desert in the early evening after a snow storm all day.

I guess it's called black ice and I was coming up to a sharp 90 degree turn and before I knew it I was skidding sideways right towards a guard rail at about 40/45 mph with a never ending cliff on the other side. So my natural instinct kicked in as if I was drifting in dirt and I tried to counter it.

Well it caught traction and we just missed the rail by inches. I have always hated having to turn off the esp but I'm pretty damn sure it saved our lives that day. My girl friend, her mom and I all thought our lives were over. They freaked out and made me drive super slow till we got to the bottom. hehe

sixt7gt350 07-24-2008 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by kane516 (Post 611248)
I had some on an 02 F150 FX4 (Off-road package) and I punctured one on asphalt before my first payment. It was punctured by a rock??

Hydroplaning can be scary, and you can't forsee it.

I had the same year, package, and tires.
I experienced breaking loose and hydroplaning on the JK SRAs.
My wife had Goodyears on her Expedition until I bought some Revos.

In my experience, Goodyear tires just plain old suck for wet traction.
Aside from drooling about the Badlands in August, it's one of the reason I have BFG MTs on my JK now.

SASQUATCH 07-25-2008 05:00 AM

I'm down in the Clear Lake area, we have areas mostly on certain feeders that give you a scare, I've learned years ago to hit 4WD high and a steady speed, with these KM2s, it's not bad, on ANY tire though at the right speed I don't care what it is, it's going to pull you into the puddle if you're going too fast.

pastorsteve 07-25-2008 06:19 AM

Any vehicle will hydroplane at any time with the right conditions and tires. Glad to hear you weren't injured. Tires rated for Mud, Snow, Sand, Rock... different ratings.

RedneckJeep 07-25-2008 06:56 AM

Well.....at least you almost died and didn't die all the way. That wouldda sucked. Glad you're still here.