Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Almost died last night

Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Almost died last night

I live in the armpit of texas....Houston. Last night i was driving to work in a monsoon and hit a small puddle on the feeder. My X hydroplaned and went about 3 lanes over until i corrected it. I was in 3 gear not flying just driving normal. Scared me almost as much as the girl in the accord in the next lane.

Anyone else experience hydroplaning in a Jeep? I have the 23s package with 17 inchers Goodyear. I've only had the Jeep since the end of June so i'm still kind of new on how it handles.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine scared me as well. The way I see it no matter what you drive and how good the tires are you will hydo if you hit water a few inches deep at speed. A stone may not float but it sure loves to skip gived the right angle and speed.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some BFG Ta/Ko's stat! (Difference of night and day in the rain)

The stock tires are a health hazard as you have just experienced for yourself.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jldx75
I live in the armpit of texas....Houston. Last night i was driving to work in a monsoon and hit a small puddle on the feeder. My X hydroplaned and went about 3 lanes over until i corrected it. I was in 3 gear not flying just driving normal. Scared me almost as much as the girl in the accord in the next lane.

Anyone else experience hydroplaning in a Jeep? I have the 23s package with 17 inchers Goodyear. I've only had the Jeep since the end of June so i'm still kind of new on how it handles.
I had some on an 02 F150 FX4 (Off-road package) and I punctured one on asphalt before my first payment. It was punctured by a rock??

Hydroplaning can be scary, and you can't forsee it.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was driving in a downpour the other day... didnt hydroplane, but hit the water and had a nice white out. couldnt see a damn thing and drove a little off the shoulder.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is close to hydroplaning, over the winter I was up on Big Bear mountain heading down the back side towards the high desert in the early evening after a snow storm all day.

I guess it's called black ice and I was coming up to a sharp 90 degree turn and before I knew it I was skidding sideways right towards a guard rail at about 40/45 mph with a never ending cliff on the other side. So my natural instinct kicked in as if I was drifting in dirt and I tried to counter it.

Well it caught traction and we just missed the rail by inches. I have always hated having to turn off the esp but I'm pretty damn sure it saved our lives that day. My girl friend, her mom and I all thought our lives were over. They freaked out and made me drive super slow till we got to the bottom. hehe
Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kane516
I had some on an 02 F150 FX4 (Off-road package) and I punctured one on asphalt before my first payment. It was punctured by a rock??

Hydroplaning can be scary, and you can't forsee it.
I had the same year, package, and tires.
I experienced breaking loose and hydroplaning on the JK SRAs.
My wife had Goodyears on her Expedition until I bought some Revos.

In my experience, Goodyear tires just plain old suck for wet traction.
Aside from drooling about the Badlands in August, it's one of the reason I have BFG MTs on my JK now.

Last edited by sixt7gt350; 07-24-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:00 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm down in the Clear Lake area, we have areas mostly on certain feeders that give you a scare, I've learned years ago to hit 4WD high and a steady speed, with these KM2s, it's not bad, on ANY tire though at the right speed I don't care what it is, it's going to pull you into the puddle if you're going too fast.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Any vehicle will hydroplane at any time with the right conditions and tires. Glad to hear you weren't injured. Tires rated for Mud, Snow, Sand, Rock... different ratings.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well.....at least you almost died and didn't die all the way. That wouldda sucked. Glad you're still here.

Quick Reply: Almost died last night