Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Am I getting taken?

Old 08-13-2009, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I getting taken?

Hi all! This is my first post. I am looking to get into a Jeep Rubi unlim..

I have attempted to negotiate with the few dealers in the area that have close to what I want. The best I have been able to do is 37k(including everything) out the door for:

normandinchryslerjeep.net/new-inventory/vehicle-details.htm?vehicleId=0f42cac17f000001008f2e81d3e1 1237

With the lovely 9.25% taxes and registration fees in CA the price of the vehicle is about 33,300 or so. The dealer is also throwing in the tow package with wiring harness.

I have argued for lower but most dealers are holding very firm..
Any feedback would be helpful.
Thanks!
Jack

PS.. also if there is a better place to post this please let me know. Thanks

Last edited by JackMac4; 08-13-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to the forum.

Most who will post up here will talk about buying their JK at invoice or lower.

I, on the other hand, paid sticker less like $500 or so. Unfortunately, I bought whent the JK Rubi was getting a 2500 - 3000 markup in NM. If I would have waited 6 months, it would have been a lot cheaper. I also could have played hard ball, but the dealer is a client of mine. I love my JK so much I really don't care.

It's all relative to when you buy and the dealer's motivation. The inventory of JK's dried up a bit when Chrysler shut the plants down temporarily, and the dealers started to hold firm on their pricing.

Expand your search and I bet you can find a better deal. Buying a veh long range is not that difficult. If you could save $5K, it would be worth a plane trip to another city and a sweet road trip home.....or they would prob ship it to you on their dime. It would just take longer to get it.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jacksabode
Hi all! This is my first post. I am looking to get into a Jeep Rubi unlim..

I have attempted to negotiate with the few dealers in the area that have close to what I want. The best I have been able to do is 37k(including everything) out the door for:

normandinchryslerjeep.net/new-inventory/vehicle-details.htm?vehicleId=0f42cac17f000001008f2e81d3e1 1237

With the lovely 9.25% taxes and registration fees in CA the price of the vehicle is about 33,300 or so. The dealer is also throwing in the tow package with wiring harness.

I have argued for lower but most dealers are holding very firm..
Any feedback would be helpful.
Thanks!
Jack

PS.. also if there is a better place to post this please let me know. Thanks

You don't mention if its an 09 or a 10, the tranny or hard or soft top, but if its an 09 manual I would shoot for closer to 29 for the vehicle price alone, then add your taxes, fees etc.

The 10's are coming so if it is a 09 they should be willing to deal. Sounds like you are in a large area so don't be afraid to shop around. The factory shut down over the summer has impacted invnentories, but unless you have to buy now take your time and do research. Edmunds.com has helped me in the past.

Last edited by JackMac4; 08-13-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought mine I found it online did all the negotiating over the phone and they drove the jeep 2+ hours to my door and I signed right there on the hood of the jeep in my driveway an they drove my trade back to their dealer. I'd look around to just make sure you're getting the best deal within a few hours drive
Old 08-13-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, the four pin trailer wiring harness you speak of costs about $50. Unless they are including something else - might want to ask what specifically that package includes.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AU94
You don't mention if its an 09 or a 10, the tranny or hard or soft top, but if its an 09 manual I would shoot for closer to 29 for the vehicle price alone, then add your taxes, fees etc.

The 10's are coming so if it is a 09 they should be willing to deal. Sounds like you are in a large area so don't be afraid to shop around. The factory shut down over the summer has impacted invnentories, but unless you have to buy now take your time and do research. Edmunds.com has helped me in the past.

I will see if they will come down more. It is a 2009 with a manual transmission, mygig, and hard top.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by EyeDoc
When I bought mine I found it online did all the negotiating over the phone and they drove the jeep 2+ hours to my door and I signed right there on the hood of the jeep in my driveway an they drove my trade back to their dealer. I'd look around to just make sure you're getting the best deal within a few hours drive
That's exactly what I was referring to. My next purchase will not be from a client and will likely be similar to this.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jacksabode
I will see if they will come down more. It is a 2009 with a manual transmission, mygig, and hard top.

Thanks
Good Luck and welcome to the forum!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Seeing that you are from San Jose.... I went to both Jeep dealers up there, Normandin and the one on Steven's Creek and I was not happy at either of them.

The Normandin salespeople insulted me and then lied. I told them I wanted the Rubicon and he wanted to know why a girl wanted a Rubicon and tried to get me to buy a Sahara, insisting that I was never going to take it off road (yeah, only every other weekend since I got it). When I pointed out that the Sahara doesn't come in Flame Red he lied and said it did. When we pointed out that in the brochue he was holding it even said that it didn't he said he could "make it happen." That is when we walked out of there.

Steven's creek was even worse, straight up crooks. They promised me that they could get ahold of the Jeep I wanted. We negociated, had everything drawn up. Agreed on a delivery date of 3 days from then and then he called me 2 hours before I was on my way there to tell me that "oops he wasn't able to get that Jeep" but that he did have a much more expensive one available for me. Considering that was the day that Chrysler was ending all of the promotions I was pissed to say the least.

Called up Derek at My Jeep in Salinas and they found the only Flame Red Hard Top Automatic Rubicon Unlimited left with CA emmissions in Oregon and got it for me with no shipping costs in two days and threw in a tow package for free. (I called Steven's Creek back to see why they didn't find that one and he said that he could get it for me for $1,600 shipping in about a month, ass.) He also beat both the lowest price that both other dealers offered on the Jeep and gave me 2x what the Steven's Creek offered on my trade in. I can't speak highly enough of this dealership, much more willing to make it happen than any of the other ones I went to.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Normandin was the worst dealer i talked to, I emailed every dealer in Northern california.

Cabral in Manteca was the only one willing to deal. I am very happy with there service

Quick Reply: Am I getting taken?