Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Am i wasting money?

Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i wasting money?

I getting confused I have a jeep jk sport. I always been the one with the little jeep watching the big ones tare it up. I going to beef mine up. I was going to start with putting a Dana 44 front drive shaft with 4-88 gears with a locker. And change the rear end to 4-88 and add a locker. But I was told my transfer was to low geared to give me to power I want. Should I buy a rubicon transfer or are they the same? Plz help me.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

What says you can't try it for a while with the stock transfer case and upgrade later if you wish.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A rubi case has a 4:1 crawl ratio. The sport doesn't. That being said it doesn't mean u should scrap ur t-case....what kind of wheeling u plan on doing
Old 09-12-2013, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you know what you want to do with you Jeep. The transfer case is something that you can change later on but you don't need it up front... Many other things you should change and try first so you can figure out if you need them... That will safe you a lot of money too.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

I wanting that power crawl. When u are going up a big hill and rocks. Where it just crawl to the top. Know I am in a standard kinda wants to die out.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Even when I pushing the gas it like it has no power. I have the Pentastar motor so it has plenty of power and torque.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gears are gonna make a huge difference. It put the power back where it needs to be.
I ran the 5:38's with the non rubi case for a while with 37's and it was ok.
I mostly crawl so I did go to a rubi case.
I have a 07 auto with 5:38's and 37's. I don't think I could ever stand to drive it with stock gears and bigger tires again.

Last edited by JKphotoshoot; 09-12-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Where in TX are you located?

As for what you're planning, go ahead and do your axle upgrades. Don't necessarily have to have the Rubi transfer case for your rig to perform well. Plenty of people run sports with D30s up front (and in the rear too for that matter) and do just fine 'round these parts. Just have to be a little more careful when wheeling.

If you decide later on that you want a better transfer case, then go for it, but it's not a necessity right off.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

I am in brownwood tx small town in central texas. I make my own trails. I do work for these farmers in trade I get to go wheeling in there creeks and rivers. Mostly around the Colorado river, but is easy getting in. The part I have a problem with is getting up the steep cliffs getting out.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lancerayfr
I am in brownwood tx small town in central texas. I make my own trails. I do work for these farmers in trade I get to go wheeling in there creeks and rivers. Mostly around the Colorado river, but is easy getting in. The part I have a problem with is getting up the steep cliffs getting out.
Not being a party pooper but..... If a game warden sees you in the river with a motorized vehicle "non watercraft" brace yourself for some nasty nasty nasty fines... All of the colorado is a watershed now...

We had a skid loader cleaning up dead stumps along the river at my old ranch..... $5800 later we we're all paid up.....hope you have better luck then I did..

Just be careful.. Tread lightly....

Last edited by Rploaded; 09-12-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Am i wasting money?