Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Ambient Temp. Display

Old 10-02-2009, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ambient Temp. Display

I have been having this issue with the outside temp. display not changing as the outside temp. goes up or down. Or sometimes it seems to adjust a bit, but the reading is still way off. Sometimes it works fine.

My jeep is going out of warranty very soon, so I took it to the dealer. I thought they were going to tell me the sensor was bad, but NO their telling me the instrument cluster is bad and needs changed out. When ask how they determined this was the problem, and not the temp. sensor. The tech. told me the correct reading was being received by the (acronym) I can't remember. But the dash display (CCN) was not updating. So the CCN needs replaced.

Any help here on their determination. I still think it could just be the outside sensor. Keeping in mind the other post (if correct) about having to drive over 20mph before the CCN updates. In the dealer's shop the Jeep was parked, and turned off within that two hour window. They want to order the replacement Monday 10/5/09 and I must leave my Jeep there all week waiting for the part to come and then be installed by Thursday, their policy.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imo, if they want to replace the cluster before your warranty is up, let them do it. Much cheaper to buy a sensor later on if the issue comes up again. I'd take a "free" cluster right before my warranty was up...
Old 10-03-2009, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds possible to me. With their diagnostic tools they are are able to see the input from the temp sensor and compare it to the readout. They probably want to keep it for liability reasons. If the temp display is not operating properly maybe the speedo is inaccurate too or maybe the idiot lights won't work when they're supposed to. I'd take the fresh new instrument cluster without all the scratches in the lens. It should only take the tech about 15 min to change out the cluster once it comes in.
Good luck and enjoy scratch free speedo viewing for a while.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I once lived in Lancaster, Pa. for about ten years. But back to my issue, I just don't have 100% trust in the Jeep dealer here. Was thinking they were maybe just wanting to get one more big job to bill thier corp. on the warranty. I have seen many post about this issue, and everyone states you must be driving at lets say 20mph. before the display updates. Unless it been turned off for at least four hous. So in the shop the Jeep is going zero mph. when being tested. I live in south Fl. and auto service is not good, even at the dealerships.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by wmcvey
I once lived in Lancaster, Pa. for about ten years. But back to my issue, I just don't have 100% trust in the Jeep dealer here. Was thinking they were maybe just wanting to get one more big job to bill thier corp. on the warranty. I have seen many post about this issue, and everyone states you must be driving at lets say 20mph. before the display updates. Unless it been turned off for at least four hous. So in the shop the Jeep is going zero mph. when being tested. I live in south Fl. and auto service is not good, even at the dealerships.
Check your other thread. If you double post, at least keep up with the answers on both.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-04-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks again "ronjenx". New to this JK-Forum, and didn't know for sure where to post my problem. Posted here first, then thought maybe the "JK-stock" was a better location. Have yet to figure out how to post on one thread, but quote from a different thread. I thought I have seen others do that.

Quick Reply: Ambient Temp. Display