JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   American Jeep (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/american-jeep-89348/)

eaglemikeo 06-08-2009 12:22 PM

so my '07 is less so than your '08 or '09?

TeraFlex 06-08-2009 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by eaglemikeo (Post 1170421)
so my '07 is less so than your '08 or '09?

Good question, do you still have your window stickers?

seer1 06-08-2009 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 1170438)

How many of your OEM parts are you still running? Mine's becoming more and more American every day. (Although I did spot a few $$$ to Canada and Australia.)

eaglemikeo 06-08-2009 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 1170438)

no, THATS the good question!... I'll have to search for it... but i'd imagine if they did any plant relocation, they would have done it with the new model JK, not one year after starting a new line...

but I'll have to search for it tonight and get back to ya... thats 3 years ago, just about!

TeraFlex 06-08-2009 12:35 PM

I have mine at home, I'll look and see if that info's on it. I thought I saw that info on a new JK at the dealer.

Mark Doiron 06-08-2009 12:40 PM

From my window sticker my JK has 79% US/Canadian parts content. This does not include final assy, distribution or other non-parts costs. Final assy point: Toledo, OH. Country of origin for engine: U.S. Transmission: Germany. Yes, we have the Germans to blame for the mediocre feel to the six speed tranny.

Mark Doiron 06-08-2009 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kastiron (Post 1170394)
... I am keeping my JK. After I am done with it, I will be buying from companies that did not take the bail out cash..

Let's see: Ford and who else? Or do you think that the foreign companies have not been seeking their own government bailout programs from their respective countries?

I'd suggest that if you want to take a stand, take it for those companies that pay back their bailout promptly. Otherwise, you should have never bought a Jeep in the first place (Chrysler was bailed out under Lee Iaccoca), and I'd hate to think that you'd reject a great motorcycle company such as Harley Davidson just because they asked for government assistance to stem the tide of cheap, Japanese knock-offs a couple decades ago. There are many more examples of U.S. companies getting into trouble and using government assistance in various forms to get back on track.

rpiotr01 06-08-2009 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dmhines (Post 1170417)
Yup .. may be no Jeep at all when Chrysler Liquidates and Fiat gets tired of these silly Americans. FIAT already said they are walking away if deal isn't done by June 15 ...

That's what I've been afraid of.

What I don't get is this: Court docs say if they liquidate the whole sha-bang, including Jeep, would fetch about 800 million. Those Indiana unions held about 1% or less of total Chrysler debt. They'd walk away with what, 8 million total? They're getting a better deal by letting the deal go through. I just don't get it.

armycop 06-08-2009 01:19 PM

Here is the top 10 "American" (North America) content vehicles buy percentage, note the JK is not on it, the '08s have less American content than the '07s on almost all makes....

1. Ford F-150
2. Chevrolet Cobalt
3. Chevrolet Malibu
4. Pontiac G6
5. Toyota Tundra
6. Toyota Sienna
7. Honda Odyssey
8. Chevrolet Silverado
9. Chrysler Sebring
10. Ford Explorer/Sport Trac

JKRINGO 06-08-2009 01:51 PM

All this time I prided myself thinking I was driving an" American Icon". Wonder just where exactly the JK stands in American content?:thinking: