Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Annoying squeak??

Old 05-28-2007, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying squeak??

Maybe this is the same annoying squeek that others have heard, but mine comes on at a different time and I am curious if anyone has the same thing.

When I shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, I get about a 1 second high pitch squeak when I am off the clutch and accelerating. It happens consistently at 1800 - 2000 RPM. Very annoyting to me, of course the wife cannot hear a thing (this is very similar to a noise I had in a previous vehicle that had a TSB on a broken exhause bracket).

It does not happen in neutral when I up the revs.
Build date was mid April, so I am not sure what may apply here. It doesn't seem like the same circumsatnces as the throw out TSB, but comments are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:27 PM
JK Newbie

Does it sound like a grinding noise?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by green4x4
Does it sound like a grinding noise?
No, not grinding. Just a high pitch squeak at 2000 RPM when off the clutch and accelerating in 2nd or 3rd. I do not think it is the throw-out TSB since I do not get the noise in neutral.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

my drivers seat would squeak everytime i shifted i didn't know what it was and one day i leaned back on the seat real hard and it didin't squeak it was nothing some WD-40 took care of
Old 05-30-2007, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Default This thread should help

Originally Posted by jetsfan28
Maybe this is the same annoying squeek that others have heard, but mine comes on at a different time and I am curious if anyone has the same thing.

When I shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, I get about a 1 second high pitch squeak when I am off the clutch and accelerating. It happens consistently at 1800 - 2000 RPM. Very annoyting to me, of course the wife cannot hear a thing (this is very similar to a noise I had in a previous vehicle that had a TSB on a broken exhause bracket).

It does not happen in neutral when I up the revs.
Build date was mid April, so I am not sure what may apply here. It doesn't seem like the same circumsatnces as the throw out TSB, but comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

I think I have the same problem as well. It sounds like a chirp or gym floor squeak.
Check out this thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ighlight=chirp
Old 05-31-2007, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Has anyone else dealt with this squeak yet either on their own or with a dealer?

I did some experiementation this morning, probably pissed off the people behind me.
The sqeak definitely seems RPM related. It only happens at around 1800-2000 RPM, when off the clutch and accelerating in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. It does not happen when on the clutch, or coasting down through the revs.

I cant tell if it is suspension related or something with the tranny / clutch. The sound seems to be coming from low in the engine compartment and not near the tranny or t-case, but it is bothering me for sure.

I would love to hear other comments on this, and any advice on how to present this to a dealer without the, "oh thats normal" BS.

Otherwise I LOVE this thing. It has been nice in NY all week, and the top has been down for a week (is it OK to leave the top folded down for extended periods?) It is like being a celebrity driving this thing on Long Island (I think the Rescue Green does it)... I actually had two different people catch up to me on the Long Island Expressway this morning to talk to me at 70 MPH, one of them in a BMW M3! I guess I should practice my autograph?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

I had the JK in the dealer to have the promised hard top and electronics harness installed and I got to talking with the Service manager about this noise.

He went for a ride with me and heard the squeak / whistle. Thought maybe it was intake related.
We then took out a new 6 speed from his lot. Same thing! Same noise between 1800 and 2000 RPM.
So.. I am not crazy and the noise, althought not normal, is at least common.
Of course he had no fix for it.
Anyone else have any new discoveries about this noise?

Also... is it just me, or is this manual tranny seem very sloppy. Maybe I am used to my Audi, but this 6 speed seems noisy and sloppy. Agree? Disagree?
Old 06-13-2007, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Clutch/pressure-plate/t.o. bearing fixed mine. no squeak/chirp for 20 days
Old 06-13-2007, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

The issue is that this TSB states that the noise is present in neutral with the clutch released, otherwise the TSB does not apply.
I only get the whistle / squeak after the clutch is released while accelerating withthe RPM just under 2000. Otherwise I never hear it, certainly not in neutral.

Two other 6 speeds on the dealer lot did the same thing. It is a small noise but highly annoying.

Quick Reply: Annoying squeak??