Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another dealer warranty question

Old 06-25-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another dealer warranty question

I just came back from having a hardtop installed on my 2008 2door. There was an unlimited there with a 3 inch lift and 35s that a guy bought off the dealership lot. The service rep said that the warranty isn't voided for anything 3 inches or lower. When I went back later that day, I asked the warrantly question again and the same rep started talking about this thing voided and that thing voided (auto sway bar diso unit, etc.)

So what's the real deal. I was going to put on the 3" ultimate full traction lift which replaces all components to do the lift the right way. Is there an official Jeep stance on lifts vs. a dealer by dealer statement? The salesman that worked the deal with me said lifts were ok, the woman who sold me the extended warranty said the jeep would still be covered with a lift and now the service guy goes a different direction.

What have you all experienced?
Old 06-25-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

my dealership is comfortable with mods up to 3 inches on X's, and 4 on Rubi's. but they did tell me if I regear, swap arms, swap driveshafts they would void my warranty. So I went with the Black Diamond 3inch. Since it is advertised as 3 inches I shouldn't have a problem
Old 06-25-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

I looked at the kits without control arms as well. It just seems to me that a dealer would want you to spend more money on a kit that allowed for proper geometry adjustments.

He also said that a computer flash (like the procomp speedo/odometer correction unit) would void the computer. I think I picked the wrong dealership. I bought the jeep with the lift in mind :(

Maybe this is the right question. What regularly fails on a jeep that requires warranty repair? I can see a driveshaft failing, but if properly aligned...I know anything can break, but if they are that solid a vehicle, should we really worry about the warranty (although warranties have saved me in the past, but I typically keep my vehicles about 8-9 years.

Last edited by kflash; 06-25-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm pretty certain that there was actually some mention of acceptable lift and tire size written in the warranty manual. It has been several months, but I remember reading 3" lift and 35 inch tires.

I could be crazy, but I'm 95% sure I read it right in the Jeep warranty manual.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:31 PM
JK Super Freak

ANY dealer is going to try to get out of doing any work under warranty. I don't know why since the manufacturer pays the dealership.

ANYWAY... nothing you do to your vehicle will void ANY warranty UNLESS what you did caused the failure. Of course getting dealerships to follow this is tough. Every dealership will say something different, EVERY employee within a dealership will say something different, even the same employee on a different day will say something different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

http://www.autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_LemonMM2.html
Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Magnuson Moss act only helps you when you are willing to spend many thousands of dollars on an attorney to make them do what they are required to do.

Sadly, the price of just about any denied warranty repair is a LOT less than what it would cost to fight it out in court. Dealer service managers will pretty much laugh at you if you start talking about it when they refuse to honor your warranty because they know that you are not going to spend $10,000 on an attorney to ge them to do a $1000 repair. Even though the act requires that the losing manufacturer pay the consumer's attorney fees, few people are willing to risk the money on a lawsuit they might not win.

Last edited by Yucca Patrol; 06-25-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Magnuson Moss act only helps you when you are willing to spend many thousands of dollars on an attorney to make them do what they are required to do.

Sadly, the price of just about any denied warranty repair is a LOT less than what it would cost to fight it out in court. Dealer service managers will pretty much laugh at you if you start talking about it when they refuse to honor your warranty because they know that you are not going to spend $10,000 on an attorney to ge them to do a $1000 repair. Even though the act requires that the losing manufacturer pay the consumer's attorney fees, few people are willing to risk the money on a lawsuit they might not win.

That is all true... again proving how dealerships will do anything to not cover problems. "ANY mods you do can and will be held against you in a dealership service center."

Quick Reply: Another dealer warranty question