Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

another soft top question...

Old 08-26-2008, 05:12 AM
dfj
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another soft top question...

I have the hard top only on a 2 door Rubicon and am considering buying the soft top for these beautiful fall days. I have been watching Craig’s List – but no luck. Dealer wants $1100 but I am leaning towards ordering one. My question for you guys with the soft top - do you like the soft top or find it a hassle to put up and down? Is it worth the $1100? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have dual tops and love it. Would definately go for the soft top, but instead of getting it through the dealer, go check out the For Sale section, I've seen a few "never used" soft tops up for sale in the $500-$800 range.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:55 AM
JK Super Freak

I would think more 2 door guys are either buying them with just soft tops or are keeping the soft tops so they will be harder to find. Those of us with 4 door hard tops either want a softtop (like me), are willing to trade (with guys who want the hard top only), or are selling the soft top because they got dual tops and only want the hardtop. There are a lot more 4 door softtops on the market than 2 door.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dfj
My question for you guys with the soft top - do you like the soft top or find it a hassle to put up and down? Is it worth the $1100? Thanks.
I don't know about the price, but the soft top is worth the minimal hassle of putting it up and down. I can do it in about 2 min and try to have it down whenever the weather cooperates. The experience is even better without doors.

Another benefit I like with the soft top is that you can have several configurations. you can leave the top clamped but remove the windows. I do this when the weather is questionable since you don't get that wet and putting the windows back on is faster than the whole top.

One last thing, it may be frustrating at first if you've never put the top up or down, especially since the fabric doesn't have much give. I recall regretting the soft top a few times but that quickly faded the next time I went topless. Also, make sure you follow the directions each time... My first few times I clamped it tight before securing the windows and it was impossible to zipper up.

Quick Reply: another soft top question...