Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another TPMS thread...

Old 01-16-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another TPMS thread...

I've seen quite a few threads talking about false warnings from the system. Well today I get in the Jeep and hear a ding and see the light illuminate. I check the tires for pressure ( ALL 5 ). All tires have proper pressure and the light is still on. With this many people complaining of the system saying pressure is low when it's not I wonder how many have low pressure and show that pressure is normal.

Also like that story about the kid that cried wolf... if my light turns on when nothing is wrong how do I know when something actually is wrong???????

This system is is way more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited by davidwm71; 01-17-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using a good digital guage add 2 psi to all tires
Old 01-19-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same low pressure warning - checked all 5 tires 30psi or just under.
Then I checked driver door sticker - said it should be 37 on my Rubicon - I guess I shouldn' have trusted the dealer (I hadn't cecked for the few months I've owned it - just that they were all same valu)

I think what triggered it was the unusually cold weather here in VA (in the teens last week) dropping tire pressure below some threshold that triggers the light - I assume it must be somewhere just below 30 for me.

Today it warmed up to the 30's and the light went off, and I inflated to 37. I'll keep monitoring to see i it's fixed.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer can set it to 28psi but some are set to 35? Mine went off when they went below 30.. and they have saved me already,, I had just enough time to get off the highway when the light came on,, I thought it was nothing,, but had a piece of metal in one tire and it was flat in 2 minutes,, I wouldnt have made it far,, and there is very little in way of good places to pull over where I was..
I just picked up a set of extra sensors(all 5) for my mud tires,, and I plan on having the ecm flashed to warn at 28psi..

Quick Reply: Another TPMS thread...