Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another trip to dealership for leaking top

Old 03-22-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another trip to dealership for leaking top

I took my jeep in a couple of weeks ago, only to get it back with a much worse leak than I had when I took it in. It was leaking on both door handles and right in the middle. The worst was the driver's door handle.

I took it back in Tues and left it until Fri. I picked it up yesterday afternoon.

Well the service guy told me they replaced the seal on the front of the jeep, he actually said they replaced everything up there. My sheet they gave me at the service desk said the same thing and even had part numbers.

So today was a nice day and I decided to wash it and check for leaks. Low and behold it was dripping all over my center stack, and running down both a pillars, and dripping on my passenger door handle. I only used a garden hose with a light shower. Didn't spray it hard, much less than some rains we've had.

So back to my shop I went, and peeled the top off. All of the gaskets looked like the ones that were there last week. I know because where I wheel it is all red dirt, there was still red dirt dust on the header gasket, so I know it didn't get replaced. All I can tell they did was to squirt some more black caulk in where the plastic piece fits in for the soft top to attach to. It all came off and made a mess when I pulled the plastic piece off. They had also taken a little strip of weather stripping I'd put on the driver's side and moved it over and stuffed it into the gasket/channel on the passenger side.

Either they replaced some pieces that are hidden and I can't see them and my original pieces are on top, or they think I'm a dumbass. I'm going to call them Monday, but I'm thinking it's time to find a reputable dealer that will really help me. If you know of any in the DFW area please let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bertjnkns
I took my jeep in a couple of weeks ago, only to get it back with a much worse leak than I had when I took it in. It was leaking on both door handles and right in the middle. The worst was the driver's door handle.

I took it back in Tues and left it until Fri. I picked it up yesterday afternoon.

Well the service guy told me they replaced the seal on the front of the jeep, he actually said they replaced everything up there. My sheet they gave me at the service desk said the same thing and even had part numbers.

So today was a nice day and I decided to wash it and check for leaks. Low and behold it was dripping all over my center stack, and running down both a pillars, and dripping on my passenger door handle. I only used a garden hose with a light shower. Didn't spray it hard, much less than some rains we've had.

So back to my shop I went, and peeled the top off. All of the gaskets looked like the ones that were there last week. I know because where I wheel it is all red dirt, there was still red dirt dust on the header gasket, so I know it didn't get replaced. All I can tell they did was to squirt some more black caulk in where the plastic piece fits in for the soft top to attach to. It all came off and made a mess when I pulled the plastic piece off. They had also taken a little strip of weather stripping I'd put on the driver's side and moved it over and stuffed it into the gasket/channel on the passenger side.

Either they replaced some pieces that are hidden and I can't see them and my original pieces are on top, or they think I'm a dumbass. I'm going to call them Monday, but I'm thinking it's time to find a reputable dealer that will really help me. If you know of any in the DFW area please let me know. Thanks.
Stuff like that really makes me sick. Find a new dealer and burn the one that attempted to fix your JK the first time. Find the technician that worked on your vehicle and put a hole in his roof with a screwdriver, see how he likes it!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bertjnkns

Wow, same story here. I'm just gonna take it over to them a few more times, and then have a talk with my lawyer on how does the "Lemon Law" works. I'm tired of this shit. They say that they fix it, and its not.

Quick Reply: Another trip to dealership for leaking top