Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anybody else pissed off cause........

Old 12-11-2010, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody else pissed off cause........

Who else can't grease all the joints on your aftermarket driveshafts without taking them off. The front upper double carden is almost a given, but in the rear the upper grease fittings are to damn close to the ds yolk and angled in such a way on the joint that you can't get the nozzle to snap on. I grew up around heavy equipment and mechanics all my life, this is F'in stupid. Also the center ball joint needle fitting zerk gets ground down flat/flush with the joint. So, ok, who on here can grease ALL their ds joints without taking the whole damn thing off? And how do u accomplish this? This ain't no better than havin the f'in stock ds's, other than you can change the f'in joint when it goes out cause of lack of grease that you should be able to put in.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get no argument from me. I've had my Woods shafts on about two or three months now and just seized the centering ball on the rear double cardan. FWIW, it was greased at install and again about a month later when in the shop for some other work (shaft was dropped in order to grease that point). We recently had a weekend wheeling trip that involved a few water crossings and now it's done. Not impressed.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by skibum
You'll get no argument from me. I've had my Woods shafts on about two or three months now and just seized the centering ball on the rear double cardan. FWIW, it was greased at install and again about a month later when in the shop for some other work (shaft was dropped in order to grease that point). We recently had a weekend wheeling trip that involved a few water crossings and now it's done. Not impressed.
Seized ? Did it blow apart or what?Story please, do tell.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Seized ? Did it blow apart or what?Story please, do tell.
Started squealing on the way home. Short drive. By the time I got home and dropped the shaft the double cardon wouldn't move at all by hand. Worked it and kept greasing it until it freed up but I'm going to have it rebuilt before I trust my new Rubi t-case to it.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of grease fittings are they? are they the flush mount type that require a needle or is it just a common zerk found on most stock suspension components (aside from the JK of course)? if it's the latter, would it be possible to replace them with a separately sourced angled fitting? if it's the flush type, i don't know what to tell ya. i'm still stock so i have no experience here, i'm just trying to offer suggestions
Old 12-13-2010, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by JCKnauer22
what kind of grease fittings are they? are they the flush mount type that require a needle or is it just a common zerk found on most stock suspension components (aside from the JK of course)? if it's the latter, would it be possible to replace them with a separately sourced angled fitting? if it's the flush type, i don't know what to tell ya. i'm still stock so i have no experience here, i'm just trying to offer suggestions
Umm, basically no way to get an angled fitting to work on the u-joint correctly without it hitting the yolk and or getting chewed up. I'm prolly gonna try to find some needle fittings to make life easier. So far, no parts stores around here have them, so I'll research some online.

Last edited by mkjeep; 12-13-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

I just un-bolt mine at the axle, that way I can just spin/bend it to get at all the zerks or just remove the shafts. I also separate the 2 halves, load it up with grease, make sure that you keep the 2 halves lined up. I also pack grease in the CV ball, flex it around, pack some more in there. I always make a point to check the u-joints at this time.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Rubicon Express 1310 front&rear ds with RE front tcase yoke and rear tcase adapter and have no problems greasing any of the u-joints, flush and zerk type.

Quick Reply: Anybody else pissed off cause........