Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone Install extra powerpoints in their JK?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Install extra powerpoints in their JK?

Well, now that I've bought a Garmin 775T to use on road trips, I'm noticing that the two powerpoints up front are not going to be enough for my needs. Has anyone added additional powerpoints to a JK? Or any simple solutions that don't get in the way of the shifter in an auto? Would like to have more then two devices plugged in at one time.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how good you want it to look, but at places like wally world auto section they have parts that have 4 ports with an on and off switch. You can use sticky tape or screws to mount. Uses one of tour factory ports for power.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Do all of your items come out of the jeep regularly? If any stay in there all the time you could hard wire them. Free up the socket and hide wires at the same time.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Menard666
Well, now that I've bought a Garmin 775T to use on road trips, I'm noticing that the two powerpoints up front are not going to be enough for my needs. Has anyone added additional powerpoints to a JK? Or any simple solutions that don't get in the way of the shifter in an auto? Would like to have more then two devices plugged in at one time.
I'm in the same boat as you are. Short term to take into account the myriad of electronic devices that can be charged off of a USB style power cord I picked up one of those Griffin dual power USB car adapters from Amazon. When traveling anywhere I can power my any combo of iPhone, GPS, MP3 or my kids Nintendo DS off the power adapter.

I'm thinking about how I want to implement a long term solution to this. Adding one maybe two 12v power jacks for use in the back seat and the same all the way in the rear cargo area on my rig. Ideally I'd like something that aesthetically looks as though the factory had enough foresight to put it there.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

You could also install an inverter.
That would give you more plugs (although a different style) and give you an inverter to use for other stuff.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well what I plan on doing is adding two more outlets at the rear of the center console for back seat passengers/my stuff when no one is there. Similar to the set up as in the F-150 supercrews. I'll have to take a look and see if it's doable, and not sure how much you can run off of one port if I tap into the existing wiring without popping a fuse or frying a wire.

Quick Reply: Anyone Install extra powerpoints in their JK?