Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone remove Soft Top completely instead of just down?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take the soft top off every summer. Most of the time I install the trail duster to cover the rear storage area. When it looks like rain the bikini top goes on.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:51 PM
jmc
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always folded mine down so it is there when I need it, but it takes up pretty much all the room behind the seat. It is easy for one person to take off though.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toad
You don't need to take the brackets off the roll bar like some others do. I leave mine on but have taken off the soft top completely. Pretty easy like the others have said.
x2. It's not worth the trouble taking off the brackets. They are not in the way.

If you plan on using a duster cover, you have to remove the soft top. It will not go on with the folded down top attached, as they used to with the TJ.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I take mine off when I install my hardtop. Us older folks like our comforts you know.....
Old 02-20-2010, 03:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey thats not fair, comfort is not just for older folks, my hard top goes on at the end of october and comes off again in april. although i have been known to dress warmly after a snow storm and take the top and doors off and go for coffee.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

I have recently got a soft top for my JK and am missing the torx screws to attach the soft top frame to the Jeep. Does anyone know what size I could use or should I get the quick discos?

I do not anticipate removing the entire soft during the summer months...but it will be folded down all the time! Any pics that someone can provide to help me figure what I need would be great.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RubiDude
I have recently got a soft top for my JK and am missing the torx screws to attach the soft top frame to the Jeep. Does anyone know what size I could use or should I get the quick discos?

I do not anticipate removing the entire soft during the summer months...but it will be folded down all the time! Any pics that someone can provide to help me figure what I need would be great.

Thanks!
Have you checked with a dealership in your area? They can't be more than a buck or two at the most. They're sort of odd in that they have the threads only on one end, not the whole bolt. Dealer would have them, or bolt and screw specialty shop, maybe. If you don't want to check those out, the quick discos would be the route to go.

If you need to know the size, I can remove one of the bolts from my top in storage and check out the size and threads...
Old 02-22-2010, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Always take it off compleatly,
Old 02-22-2010, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by glwood6
If you need to know the size, I can remove one of the bolts from my top in storage and check out the size and threads...
That could be cool. Truthfully, I have not really looked at one installed...as I have only ever had my hard top on! I am not even sure how the frame attaches to the Jeep...am sure it can not be that hard, but I will probably have to go by dealer and check one out. If you have any pics or othe info that would be great too!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Since I have a garage and a second car I take it off a lot. In fact, I don't even think I put it on last August, just ran around with the front freedom panels and would throw the doors on during cooler days.

Easily my favorite "configuration".

Last edited by Heavy Metal; 02-22-2010 at 05:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone remove Soft Top completely instead of just down?