JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Anyone see a noticable difference using drop in filters? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/anyone-see-noticable-difference-using-drop-filters-127144/)

Ronstar83 04-20-2010 03:42 PM

Anyone see a noticable difference using drop in filters?

I just used the Superchips Flashpaq and had unbelievable results. I tuned it to the correct tire size and programmed it to performance 93 octane after filling it with premium gas. For the last year I have been averaging 13.2 MPG combined. This last few days driving the same routes I am currently averaging 19.3 MPS's. Speechless. I was looking into intakes but decides against cold air because I remember what my engine looked like the last time I went and played in the mud. That said, I am curious if anyone has had luck with the drop-in filters and if so what brands work the best? :beer:

JK-Tex 04-20-2010 05:22 PM

I've got a K&N drop-in. Makes it sound *slightly* less breathless in the top end, but no real difference. Besides, it's not like you should be revving the 3.8 above 4,000 rpm, anyway. Might void your warranty! :yup:

PoorDad 04-20-2010 05:27 PM

No noticeable difference

I did not really notice much of a difference between the stock air filter and my AFE dry drop in one. The thing I liked about the AFE , and the reason I got it, was that is reusable and does not require oil. You can take the filter out on the trail, bang it on a rock and be back up to 80% filtration. The AFE filter itself drops down deeper than the stock one or the K&N, allegedly letting more air in:dontknow2:

myklt8 04-21-2010 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by PoorDad (Post 1662087)
I did not really notice much of a difference between the stock air filter and my AFE dry drop in one. The thing I liked about the AFE , and the reason I got it, was that is reusable and does not require oil. You can take the filter out on the trail, bang it on a rock and be back up to 80% filtration. The AFE filter itself drops down deeper than the stock one or the K&N, allegedly letting more air in:dontknow2:

I like my AFE for the same reasons, I don't think you'll see any gains from a drop in. even if they do flow more air, you are not going to be running high RPMs constantly to take advantage of the higher flow

zzx81 04-21-2010 06:40 AM

I put in a drop in K&N filter at about 18,500 miles about a year after I bought the Jeep. I did have a noticeable difference in low end power after I had replaced it. There is a hill on my daily commute that I was unable to maintain 40-45 mph or even gain speed in sixth as I traveled up it. After replacing the filter, I have had no problem maintaining speed on this hill.

For the 18,229 miles that I recorded before using the K&N filter, I was getting an average of 15.531 mpg. In the 13,302 miles since I have replaced the filter, I have averaged 16.549 mpg. My daily commute has not changed in this time. I have been driving with the filter in for just over a year now.

I have a stock Rubicon Unlimited with a six speed and soft top. Most of my driving has been in Dallas traffic.

I hope this helps some people that are wondering about what gains you receive from just adding the K&N filter, and sorry for all the numbers.

iggy 04-21-2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by PoorDad (Post 1662087)

x2 I didn't notice anything either when i installed my AFE dry drop in filter. I really got it for the same reason no more buying filters and no oiling. As far as filters go it's one of the better ideas, I've have K&N before and they work well but i like the idea of no oil.

CDavisJK 04-21-2010 01:29 PM

I replaced my stock one with a K&N drop it. The old one was really dusty. But even then I didn't notice any difference.

RubiZealot 04-21-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by zzx81 (Post 1662676)
I put in a drop in K&N filter at about 18,500 miles about a year after I bought the Jeep. I did have a noticeable difference in low end power after I had replaced it. There is a hill on my daily commute that I was unable to maintain 40-45 mph or even gain speed in sixth as I traveled up it. After replacing the filter, I have had no problem maintaining speed on this hill.

For the 18,229 miles that I recorded before using the K&N filter, I was getting an average of 15.531 mpg. In the 13,302 miles since I have replaced the filter, I have averaged 16.549 mpg. My daily commute has not changed in this time. I have been driving with the filter in for just over a year now.

I have a stock Rubicon Unlimited with a six speed and soft top. Most of my driving has been in Dallas traffic.

I hope this helps some people that are wondering about what gains you receive from just adding the K&N filter, and sorry for all the numbers.

Do you think this is just because of a new filter or that it was a K&N?

zzx81 04-21-2010 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by RubiZealot (Post 1663226)
Do you think this is just because of a new filter or that it was a K&N?

Looking at my mileage log, I would say that the MPG gain is directly due to replacing a stock filter with the K&N. My mileage was fairly consistent before I replaced the filter, and the stock filter was not very dirty when I took it out after 18,500 miles.

I would also attribute my experience with the hill on my normal commute to having a K&N filter. It is not a huge difference, and if I had not driven the same route day in and out, I probably would never have noticed any power difference between stock and the K&N.

I don't think that there are any earth shattering gains to be had, but the extra 1 mpg and not having to down shift at lower RPMs has made it worth it for me.

RubiZealot 04-21-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by zzx81 (Post 1663243)
Looking at my mileage log, I would say that the MPG gain is directly due to replacing a stock filter with the K&N. My mileage was fairly consistent before I replaced the filter, and the stock filter was not very dirty when I took it out after 18,500 miles.

I would also attribute my experience with the hill on my normal commute to having a K&N filter. It is not a huge difference, and if I had not driven the same route day in and out, I probably would never have noticed any power difference between stock and the K&N.

I don't think that there are any earth shattering gains to be had, but the extra 1 mpg and not having to down shift at lower RPMs has made it worth it for me.

given the price, this seems like a worthwhile mod. 1 MPG is big money over a year.