Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone see a noticable difference using drop in filters?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone see a noticable difference using drop in filters?

I just used the Superchips Flashpaq and had unbelievable results. I tuned it to the correct tire size and programmed it to performance 93 octane after filling it with premium gas. For the last year I have been averaging 13.2 MPG combined. This last few days driving the same routes I am currently averaging 19.3 MPS's. Speechless. I was looking into intakes but decides against cold air because I remember what my engine looked like the last time I went and played in the mud. That said, I am curious if anyone has had luck with the drop-in filters and if so what brands work the best?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a K&N drop-in. Makes it sound *slightly* less breathless in the top end, but no real difference. Besides, it's not like you should be revving the 3.8 above 4,000 rpm, anyway. Might void your warranty!

Last edited by JK-Tex; 04-20-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Default No noticeable difference

I did not really notice much of a difference between the stock air filter and my AFE dry drop in one. The thing I liked about the AFE , and the reason I got it, was that is reusable and does not require oil. You can take the filter out on the trail, bang it on a rock and be back up to 80% filtration. The AFE filter itself drops down deeper than the stock one or the K&N, allegedly letting more air in
Old 04-21-2010, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PoorDad
I did not really notice much of a difference between the stock air filter and my AFE dry drop in one. The thing I liked about the AFE , and the reason I got it, was that is reusable and does not require oil. You can take the filter out on the trail, bang it on a rock and be back up to 80% filtration. The AFE filter itself drops down deeper than the stock one or the K&N, allegedly letting more air in
I like my AFE for the same reasons, I don't think you'll see any gains from a drop in. even if they do flow more air, you are not going to be running high RPMs constantly to take advantage of the higher flow
Old 04-21-2010, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

I put in a drop in K&N filter at about 18,500 miles about a year after I bought the Jeep. I did have a noticeable difference in low end power after I had replaced it. There is a hill on my daily commute that I was unable to maintain 40-45 mph or even gain speed in sixth as I traveled up it. After replacing the filter, I have had no problem maintaining speed on this hill.

For the 18,229 miles that I recorded before using the K&N filter, I was getting an average of 15.531 mpg. In the 13,302 miles since I have replaced the filter, I have averaged 16.549 mpg. My daily commute has not changed in this time. I have been driving with the filter in for just over a year now.

I have a stock Rubicon Unlimited with a six speed and soft top. Most of my driving has been in Dallas traffic.

I hope this helps some people that are wondering about what gains you receive from just adding the K&N filter, and sorry for all the numbers.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PoorDad
x2 I didn't notice anything either when i installed my AFE dry drop in filter. I really got it for the same reason no more buying filters and no oiling. As far as filters go it's one of the better ideas, I've have K&N before and they work well but i like the idea of no oil.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I replaced my stock one with a K&N drop it. The old one was really dusty. But even then I didn't notice any difference.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zzx81
I put in a drop in K&N filter at about 18,500 miles about a year after I bought the Jeep. I did have a noticeable difference in low end power after I had replaced it. There is a hill on my daily commute that I was unable to maintain 40-45 mph or even gain speed in sixth as I traveled up it. After replacing the filter, I have had no problem maintaining speed on this hill.

For the 18,229 miles that I recorded before using the K&N filter, I was getting an average of 15.531 mpg. In the 13,302 miles since I have replaced the filter, I have averaged 16.549 mpg. My daily commute has not changed in this time. I have been driving with the filter in for just over a year now.

I have a stock Rubicon Unlimited with a six speed and soft top. Most of my driving has been in Dallas traffic.

I hope this helps some people that are wondering about what gains you receive from just adding the K&N filter, and sorry for all the numbers.
Do you think this is just because of a new filter or that it was a K&N?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RubiZealot
Do you think this is just because of a new filter or that it was a K&N?
Looking at my mileage log, I would say that the MPG gain is directly due to replacing a stock filter with the K&N. My mileage was fairly consistent before I replaced the filter, and the stock filter was not very dirty when I took it out after 18,500 miles.

I would also attribute my experience with the hill on my normal commute to having a K&N filter. It is not a huge difference, and if I had not driven the same route day in and out, I probably would never have noticed any power difference between stock and the K&N.

I don't think that there are any earth shattering gains to be had, but the extra 1 mpg and not having to down shift at lower RPMs has made it worth it for me.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zzx81
Looking at my mileage log, I would say that the MPG gain is directly due to replacing a stock filter with the K&N. My mileage was fairly consistent before I replaced the filter, and the stock filter was not very dirty when I took it out after 18,500 miles.

I would also attribute my experience with the hill on my normal commute to having a K&N filter. It is not a huge difference, and if I had not driven the same route day in and out, I probably would never have noticed any power difference between stock and the K&N.

I don't think that there are any earth shattering gains to be had, but the extra 1 mpg and not having to down shift at lower RPMs has made it worth it for me.
given the price, this seems like a worthwhile mod. 1 MPG is big money over a year.

Quick Reply: Anyone see a noticable difference using drop in filters?