JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Anyone selling or thinking of selling their JK? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/anyone-selling-thinking-selling-their-jk-43893/)

mgaspard 06-11-2008 08:36 AM

Anyone selling or thinking of selling their JK?

Just curious? I have had mine for sale for about a month and have not had a bite. It is a 2008 two door, auto, soft top S package, tow and power group, front and rear Mopar bumper with a Smittybilt #8000 winch and N fab nerf bars, side air bags and Infinity sound. It has 4,400 miles. I was looking to get $23,500. I called the dealer where I bought it and they said they would sell it for $18,000 - $20,000. Does this sound right? What do you think I can get?

Rub61 06-11-2008 08:40 AM

Lot of people like the lifetime warranty that isn't transferable. For a few grand more and low interest rates they just bite the bullet

Yucca Patrol 06-11-2008 09:25 AM

Nobody wants to buy my MINI Cooper, and it should be selling since most people would think it wasn't a gas guzzler (but it is).

One thing I did to make it more attractive to the average buyer was to remove all the go-fast parts to make it appear that it has been stock for the past 90K miles.

I wonder if removing your winch and bumper would improve resale value since it would not appear to have been used off-road. . . .

ElovesC 06-11-2008 09:43 AM

If you remove the winch I will buy it!

scouter4life 06-11-2008 09:46 AM

SUV's just are not selling right now due to gas prices and other consumer concerns. Jeeps have always held their resale value well, but I think an overabundance of the JK's on the market right now have diluted the prices. If you can, you might be better off holding for another 6-12 months and try selling it then. Not sure why you are selling, but if it's to save gas money, just consider how much of a loss you might take and figure how long it would take with a more fuel efficient vehicle to make that up.

Try this, I get about 20 mpg on the Jeep, if I get rid of it and buy something that got 35 mpg, but I took a hit of $8000 on the Jeep to do it becasue they are not selling well right now & If I drove 15,000 miles a year, I would save $1286 a year, but to make back the $8000 I lost would take more than 6 years to do so. So while it may seem like you are saving money, you really are not for several years. (these numbers were based on $4 per gallon to keep it simple, obviously higher gas prices may shorten this)

Rockemsock 06-11-2008 09:53 AM

I bought mine 5 weeks ago, and I didn't even look seriously at the used JK's because I wanted the LIfetime warranty and the 0% financing. The savings on the Jeep would have to be significant to make me give up all the advantages of buying new (selection, convenience, payment).

mgaspard 06-11-2008 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by scouter4life (Post 545565)
SUV's just are not selling right now due to gas prices and other consumer concerns. Jeeps have always held their resale value well, but I think an overabundance of the JK's on the market right now have diluted the prices. If you can, you might be better off holding for another 6-12 months and try selling it then. Not sure why you are selling, but if it's to save gas money, just consider how much of a loss you might take and figure how long it would take with a more fuel efficient vehicle to make that up.

Try this, I get about 20 mpg on the Jeep, if I get rid of it and buy something that got 35 mpg, but I took a hit of $8000 on the Jeep to do it becasue they are not selling well right now & If I drove 15,000 miles a year, I would save $1286 a year, but to make back the $8000 I lost would take more than 6 years to do so. So while it may seem like you are saving money, you really are not for several years. (these numbers were based on $4 per gallon to keep it simple, obviously higher gas prices may shorten this)

Agreed. SUV's are not selling. In fact, the dealer where I purchased mine is running a special on JK's for $18,990. I am not selling to save gas money. There is another purpose for the sale. I probably will hang on to it for now due to poor sales. Just looking for input.

mgaspard 06-11-2008 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ElovesC (Post 545559)
If you remove the winch I will buy it!

Check your PM.

Coastie 06-11-2008 01:09 PM

I actually just came to the decision to sell my 2008 JK Unlimited 4dr Rubi. I just bought it 3 months ago, but things have conspired against me and it would be better for me to sell and get into something more practical. I am actually checking with the dealer where I bought it and hoping to get at least $25k trade in on a 2008 Honda Element SC.

mgaspard 06-11-2008 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Coastie (Post 545914)
I actually just came to the decision to sell my 2008 JK Unlimited 4dr Rubi. I just bought it 3 months ago, but things have conspired against me and it would be better for me to sell and get into something more practical. I am actually checking with the dealer where I bought it and hoping to get at least $25k trade in on a 2008 Honda Element SC.

Good luck.