Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone using this booster seat?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using this booster seat?

Anyone using this booster seat?

http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/frontier-85-sict

How does it fit? Which position (left, center, right) do you have it mounted? Can the other unused seat still fold flat? Thanks for any help.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Wife and I decided for the Parkway. Our son is 4 and his size/weight already allow him for using the car's harness.

I installed it in the middle of the back seat.
1) max side protection
2) he can see ahead (which he loves)
3) can still fold the narrow portion of the back seat if necessary

All the car seats we bought for him on the other cars are Britax: Marathon and Triathlon Both have been performing quite nicely and that's why we opted for another Britax for the Jeep.

So, you will not go wrong with that brand. :-)
Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. Anyone else have anything to add?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Never used that booster, but my son had the Britax boulevard seat till he was ready for the booster. Expensive, but a hell of a seat. Def the best protection you can buy and quality is top notch. Huge seat tho compared to others.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't used the Frontier 85 SICT, but let me see if I can provide some helpful information and answers to your questions.

As far as the Britax brand, I agree with everyone else's comments on the quality. I've used a Britax Diplomat in my JK for the past 18 months. Quality is superb and it's built extremely sturdy. At 18.5" wide, I could place it in all three positions across the back seat. It started out in the left position until my daughter started kicking my seat (that happened pretty quick as I am 6'3", so my seat is all the way back). In the left position, I could fold the other section down while the child seat was latched in. The folding seat would scrape the Britax, but still fold.

I moved it to the center position and was able to fold the left section down - again, it scraped, but it would work. I actually had the left section folded way more than upright.

We recently replaced the Diplomat with a Recaro ProSport (w w w.recaro-cs.com/us/product/combination-harness-to-boosters.html). It is also 18.5" wide and the same fitment options apply to it as the Diplomat. While I was shopping for this one, the same store had the Britax Frontier 85 AND Britax Frontier 85 SICT. I did not even consider the SICT because it looked wide (more on that in a second). It came down to the Frontier 85 and Recaro. I choose the latter by the slimmest of margins - the Frontier 85 is an excellent seat as well.

Let's look at some measurements for a minute.
Recaro - 18.5" wide
Frontier 85 - 19.5 " wide
Frontier 85 SICT - 23.5" wide
As tight as the fit is with the Recaro and Diplomat, the additional 2" of width [per side] of the SICT would prevent the seats from being folded - they would not get by while the SICT was latched in place. I did some measurements and with the SICT in the left or right positions, there is room for it to fit.

Finally, earlier this summer we had some friends in town with their two kids. Each of them had their own belt positioning booster seat. With my daughter's 18.5" wide seat in the middle, we could fit both of the boosters on either side and three young kids rode securely in my Jeep. The seats all butted up against one another, but they fit. I'm not sure how that would have worked with a Frontier SICT......

I know it was long, but hopefully you found some useful info in there.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Wife and I decided for the Parkway. Our son is 4 and his size/weight already allow him for using the car's harness.

I installed it in the middle of the back seat.
1) max side protection
2) he can see ahead (which he loves)
3) can still fold the narrow portion of the back seat if necessary

All the car seats we bought for him on the other cars are Britax: Marathon and Triathlon Both have been performing quite nicely and that's why we opted for another Britax for the Jeep.

So, you will not go wrong with that brand. :-)
We've got a Parkway in my wife's Jeep and it is great except for the cup holders (worthless). We had two Boulevards and loved them as well. I've got a Grecko? in mine and it is really too big. It sticks out past the center section in the Jeep and makes it hard for her to get past it and the driver's seat. It is also little bit wider and rubs on the folding seat. I'd order another Parkway with no reservations!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks to everyone for the great info.

Quick Reply: Anyone using this booster seat?