Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Auto or Manual transmission, any preferences???

Old 06-20-2012, 10:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto or Manual transmission, any preferences???

I recently bought a 2012 Unlimited with the 6 speed manual trans. Now that I have moved to a bigger city I find myself in stop-n-go traffic for hours on a daily basis. Regret the manual transmission for a commuter vehicle.

Any preferences auto or manual for off-roading? And why?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

For me prefer the auto, think it is a reliable unit, no chance of stalling, easier crawling, no issues with changing gear if in water (manual bad if water gets between clutch plates) and hands free. Can also adjust shift points with Superchips etc Only disadvantage may be a small power loss and little engine braking even in 1st low.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

Manual is all I know. Never had an automatic in ANY vehicle I've owned yet. I personally prefer and shop for manuals when I'm buying. I can see how it'd make you a little crazy in stop n go traffic EVERYday.

The automatics definitely have the advantage offroad as far as I know. We just got a work a little harder with our manuals - that's all
Old 06-21-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

manual all the way. yes it can get hairy on rocky trails. but its part of the fun. i feel like im doing more than just going for a ride. only auto i've had was a saturn my mother gave to me as my first car.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would prefer manual but mine is an auto... I couldn't pass up the deal....
Old 06-21-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Manual here as well. Just got back from Moab, did poison spider and top of the world. No issues from my manual and didn't stall at all. Not saying manual is better just my preference. If I lived in a big city with stop and go traffic auto for sure but I don't. All my jeeps have been manual as well.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Just picked up my '12 JKUR manual trans. I have been looking forward to having a stick shift since I ordered it 2 months ago. My last jeep, an '09 JKU, was an automatic. I do enjoy having more of an "active" driving experience and choosing when to shift to get the most torque. However, if I did more city driving I would have to choose an automatic. With this 6 speed I am shifting A LOT.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have had 2 4x4's with manual trans, and 2 with automatic. Manual is way more fun to drive, except in traffic. But went with the auto on my JK. No more Heal and Toe when off road, one foot on the break and one on the gas no fuss no muss.

Come to think of it, how many articles do you read when someone pulls the automatic out to swap in a stick. Everything I have seen as been the reverse, pull the stick and replace with a automatic.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

ive been driving stick since 1998. when i bought my wrangler last year it was gonna be a auto from the first day i started looking. once i got it offroad i really thought about how tiring a stick shift would have been.

its all personal preference but im happy as can be with my auto.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Manual all the way

Title says it

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual transmission, any preferences???