Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Auto vs Manual

Old 07-30-2014, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is a 6 speed and I love it. Normal driving I don't even notice because I've been driving with a manual for so many years. Off Road it is harder than an auto, but after a little seat time I found I prefer a stick over an auto off road. Only regret I have is not getting a Rubicon, because I find myself spending a bunch of freaking cash trying to make my Sahara perform like one.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 6 speed and it's fine. All my Jeeps and my first car were sticks. I can't imagine any "performance" vehicle (off-road performance in this case) being an auto. I love it for wheeling especially, because the gearing is a bit lower I believe, and you just pick a gear based on the terrain or obstacle at hand and go with it.

The control is just something I really like.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
Mine is a 6 speed and I love it. Normal driving I don't even notice because I've been driving with a manual for so many years. Off Road it is harder than an auto, but after a little seat time I found I prefer a stick over an auto off road. Only regret I have is not getting a Rubicon, because I find myself spending a bunch of freaking cash trying to make my Sahara perform like one.
X2....... however...

I've had the transmission replaced this year (3 times through aftermarket warranty - 2 used, and finally got a reman'd). Problem I'm having is - and what started the whole debacle is - it keeps popping out if 1st. Initially discovered w/ the lower console switch pod (from Daystar) it was keeping me from going all the way forward. Moved the pod, problem solved... or so I thought.

Anyway, I have a question and fig'd this was as good of place as any to ask. With limited wheeling experience (rock) I'm wondering if anyone else uses 2nd gear while in 4L - and how does it work for you? In particular while climbing. Plan on trying it out this weekend.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use it regularly, 3rd as well. It depends on how much throttle I want. On the easier sections, i'll start out in 2nd for the added speed. I rarely ever touch the gas or brake, I just pic the right gear and let the jeep do the work. 3rd in 4L is close to 1st in 4H. I don't have lockers, so on some of the harder sections I need more wheel speed to get through. This is another instance where I will use 2nd gear.

For example, if I try something a couple times in first and are not successful, but I feel good about the line, i'll have a go in 2nd but with more gas.

I have yet to has issues with my jeep popping out of gear. Mine is a new 2014, so maybe they have fixed that issue.

Originally Posted by JDub23
X2....... however...

I've had the transmission replaced this year (3 times through aftermarket warranty - 2 used, and finally got a reman'd). Problem I'm having is - and what started the whole debacle is - it keeps popping out if 1st. Initially discovered w/ the lower console switch pod (from Daystar) it was keeping me from going all the way forward. Moved the pod, problem solved... or so I thought.

Anyway, I have a question and fig'd this was as good of place as any to ask. With limited wheeling experience (rock) I'm wondering if anyone else uses 2nd gear while in 4L - and how does it work for you? In particular while climbing. Plan on trying it out this weekend.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

When I was test driving, I tried an automatic... It just felt kinda of "squishy".
I have always driven manuals and I guess I am just used to them... I love my 6 speed. Manual transmission is like driving with cheat codes. I feel I have a better sense of control when piloting my vehicle.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default No Brainer

This one is certainly a personal choice. We all have opinions. Pick what is best for you but for me it is a no brainer. Jeeps are supposed to be manual in my mind. That is part of the fun for me. MY opinion and I will not chastise anyone for having a different view. But the 6 speed manual is seriously fun to drive. I live in SoCal and drive in heavy traffic......no scratch that. I don't drive in heavy traffic who am I kidding? I drive the 405 freeway which in this neck of the woods is affectionately called the worlds largest parking lot. So, I can't say I drive in heavy traffic there is no driving to it! In my Grand Cherokee (automatic) I would have said that I sit and languish in boredom while traffic slowly rolls home with the constant boring drone of foot on the brake, foot slightly off the brake, foot off the brake, foot slightly on the brake, stopping....foot back on the brake. BORING!!! I used to get very tired in traffic just from doing nothing! But now, with my 6 speed Wrangler I actually play little games. How smooth can I get rolling, can I keep it rolling smoothly without jumping from not enough throttle? Can I keep it rolling in first without having to clutch keeping a perfect distance from the car in front of me? Keep it right on the edge of the car stalling but not? Can I shift to 2nd and keep it crawling with the perfect amount of throttle? Can I bump first then pop it in neutral and roll for the next few stops without braking? Seriously, sometimes I do these games and you know what? Traffic isn't boring. So, if I can make California traffic fun anyone can because I am not a patient person. Some of the joy of traffic these days though isn't the manual it is the top down and the time to sit out with the sun on my face. Oh, and all the jealous looks from all of those people stuck in traffic trapped in their lifeless, uninspiring, cookie cutter automobiles......most of which are automatics.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
I use it regularly, 3rd as well. It depends on how much throttle I want. On the easier sections, i'll start out in 2nd for the added speed. I rarely ever touch the gas or brake, I just pic the right gear and let the jeep do the work. 3rd in 4L is close to 1st in 4H. I don't have lockers, so on some of the harder sections I need more wheel speed to get through. This is another instance where I will use 2nd gear.

For example, if I try something a couple times in first and are not successful, but I feel good about the line, i'll have a go in 2nd but with more gas.

I have yet to has issues with my jeep popping out of gear. Mine is a new 2014, so maybe they have fixed that issue.
Thanks for the input!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

I love my 6spd and will never own an auto. It's fun and adds the "Badass" factor lol. I am not sure about new years but in 08 the autos were geared in 3:21 and the manuals were geared in 3:73. This made a huge difference in acceleration, especially if you are running larger tires for a while before you re-gear. I prefer a manual offroad as well, adds a little more of a challenge, but I also feel much more in control. It's not like the manuals don't have CC, and I find the length of the throw and stick very comfortable.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

I have a '13 JK manual and had to search to find it!! Had the salesman try to talk me out of it saying "most girls get the automatics". Well, I guess I'm not like "most" girls then!! It is my daily driver and I'm on the road all the time being in outside sales. To me it just goes hand in hand with owning a Jeep!! ✋
Old 07-31-2014, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

I've had tons of jeeps and only one automatic wrangler. It's all preference. I have an 08 sahara now thats a six speed and love it and I do lots of Highway driving and lots of back roads and it doesn't bother me either way. My preference will always be to pick the gear I want but no matter what you choose just remember that you're driving the most capable vehicle ever to roll off an assembly line. So have fun no matter what and love your jeep

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual