Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Auto vs Manual

Old 08-04-2014, 11:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ever driven manual transmission in sporty cars (two minis cooper s, an european hot hatch, the rwd bmw I own at the moment) and in Italy auto transmission are the smaller part of the market (due to bad fuel consumption in general and by the cost of fuel more than double than in the US). So my doubt in the choice between manual or auto while thinking about a JK purchase.

Having not experienced a difficult manoeuvre in off road I thought it was helpful using only the brake pedal instead of clutch and brake. Plus the fact it's impossible to stall the car! It's my biggest fear: remanining stuck in a muddy slope, without the ability to go up, maybe sliding downwards with all the wheels blocked! I'm a rookie, i know!! :-)

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods...
Old 08-05-2014, 02:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Brizio81
... Plus the fact it's impossible to stall the car! It's my biggest fear: remanining stuck in a muddy slope, without the ability to go up, maybe sliding downwards with all the wheels blocked! I'm a rookie, i know!! :-) ...
Not sure if the European JKs have the clutch interlock switch to prevent starting the Jeep without pressing in the clutch, but if all of that is wired as for U.S. models, then you don't need to press in the clutch in 4-low to start the Jeep. Just crank on the starter and the Jeep will roll forward and the engine will start. It's a good reason to be in 4-low for certain situations.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Not sure if the European JKs have the clutch interlock switch to prevent starting the Jeep without pressing in the clutch, but if all of that is wired as for U.S. models, then you don't need to press in the clutch in 4-low to start the Jeep. Just crank on the starter and the Jeep will roll forward and the engine will start. It's a good reason to be in 4-low for certain situations.
Great, never heard it before! It's a good help in severe conditions!

Usually we've no particular difference with US apart the diesel engine and the horrible front and rear bumpers (they did their best with them thanks to pedestrian impact rules...)

Old 08-05-2014, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by InfoJunkie

To me your complaint is unwarranted as I have the same 6 speed and as long as you shift with softness moving the shifter slightly to the right and then down going beyond 6th to reverse is impossible and likewise finding 4th by mistake is just as unlikely. The system wont allow you to hit reverse by mistake so I dont even worry about it. In fact to hit reverse when stopped I find I need to very deliberately slam shifter hard to right and then equally as hard down to feel the "trap door" open.

If someone has problems finding a gear on the 6 speed I would argue that 1) they need to look up tips or hints online or receive some - for example you slightly and softly move the shifter to the right before going up or down into 5th or 6th gear. 2) there is something wrong mechanically with their gear box.
I was just wondering if that was normal. After almost 6 months of driving it, it has loosened up a bit and doesn't take as much force to get it into 6th. But you do have to pull slightly right when shifting. My Patriot was only a 5 spd so this was foreign to me at first anyway. But it's good to know the Jeep physically won't let me do that.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brizio81
I've ever driven manual transmission in sporty cars (two minis cooper s, an european hot hatch, the rwd bmw I own at the moment) and in Italy auto transmission are the smaller part of the market (due to bad fuel consumption in general and by the cost of fuel more than double than in the US). So my doubt in the choice between manual or auto while thinking about a JK purchase.

Having not experienced a difficult manoeuvre in off road I thought it was helpful using only the brake pedal instead of clutch and brake. Plus the fact it's impossible to stall the car! It's my biggest fear: remanining stuck in a muddy slope, without the ability to go up, maybe sliding downwards with all the wheels blocked! I'm a rookie, i know!! :-)

The newer JK's have Hill Assist which holds the brakes for you while you let out the clutch, and releases them as the clutch grabs and move the car forward. It's a neat feature for folks who aren't 100% confident driving a manual trans in tight situations.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CdnJeepDan
I drive a manual. My next JK will be an automatic.

I've tired of my manual randomly popping out of 1st and 2nd gear with a horrendous pop, slamming the shifter into my hand, and scaring the hell out of my girlfriend in the process. All the while, making me look like an idiot as the Jeep lurches until I can ram it back into gear and get it moving again.

Dealer's been completely useless about it as "they can't repeat the problem" so I've just lived with it.
Wasn't there a recall addressing this?

I seem to recall there was something about the inner shift boot being too rigid, leading to this problem.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Haggis_Forever
Wasn't there a recall addressing this?

I seem to recall there was something about the inner shift boot being too rigid, leading to this problem.
Yes there was a recall on the shifter popping out of gear. My 08 had that issue and it was covered under warranty.

On a side note, I'm on my 3rd JK with a 6-speed and I have no regrets!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi

"If we had to point to one fault on this specific Wrangler, it would be the sometimes noisy and clunky six-speed manual transmission. Sacrilegious as it sounds to want an automatic in a Wrangler, this platform simply performs better with the auto"

From 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Moab - Long Term Report

I have one problem in threads like this and that is that people here dont mention what model year they have experience with. They say auto, but there are a difference between differerent brands, models and years. A JK had a inferior automatic transmission between 2007-2011 compared to JK 2012+. The new (rather old actually) automatic have a transmission cooler and are mated with some V12 engines in Mercedes vehicles. And in this automatic transmission You can manually change gears.

It seems that with diesel (pentastar?) the auto have slightly more torque.

"This overseas-available Jeep CRD turbodiesel punches out 200 hp and 339 lb-ft of torque for automatic transmission models and 302 lb-ft for Wranglers with manual transmissions"

From What's New for the 2017 Jeep? - Future Wrangler

Looks even so with the Pentastar

Old 08-07-2014, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ENWYAifSl8
Old 08-07-2014, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 07tungsten
Yes there was a recall on the shifter popping out of gear. My 08 had that issue and it was covered under warranty.

On a side note, I'm on my 3rd JK with a 6-speed and I have no regrets!
I'm on my first with a manual. I also have no regrets, though rush hour driving around Boston is close to one. A bad left knee and a manual transmission aren't a good combination some days.

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual