Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Baby on the way. Is the Unlimited a good baby hauler?

Old 07-09-2015, 10:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil

On the street. Blacked out on the way home from work, crossed yellow lines and need up going thru 5 back yards, 3 sheds and 2 trees, the first tree sent me into the roll. I could feel and hear everything going on but I could see nothing. Dr's couldn't find anything wrong with me either. Just one of those weird freak accidents.
Damn. Could you move at all or anything?
Old 07-09-2015, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always felt that driving topless and doorless is the closest thing to a motorcycle.

When I had a baby I traded my two door jeep for an unlimited and I love it. I put the car seat in the middle back seat and there is plenty of room. I live in south Texas and summers break 100 degrees. The hardtop does radiate heat down making the backseats warmer. Once your moving it cools down. There are companies that make solutions for this. My previous jeep had a soft top and it was cooler in summer. In winter there both fine, but it doesn't snow where I live.

Bottom line is, you won't regret getting a JKU. Just make sure you get one with 3.73 gears.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a jku with a soft top and live in the Great Lakes area so I know all about weather extremes.

I will say that up front, I am completely comfortable whether its -5F or 105F. Just pop on the heat/air and you're good to go. In the winter, however, the vents just are not strong enough to heat up the rear seats. This is the main reason I wish I had a hard top instead of soft. Another reason is I cannot put the top all the way back anymore, but that's due to having two giant fire extinguishers and a trail jack blocking the top from folding back.

I don't have kids, but I do have a dog. This was my main reason for getting a 4 door instead of a 2 door. Having that extra door to let her in and out has proven its worth countless times. Folding the seats forward and messing with all that just wasn't going to cut it. When it comes to you having a baby seat, I'd bet its the same situation. Having the trunk space and capability to fold down the back seats has been great as I recently moved and carting everything around would have been impossible if I didn't have a long vehicle.

My advice to you is this:

Get a 4 door, make it a hardtop or at least get a roof liner insalator, and if you can afford it, get the 3.6L. Don't worry about lifting it or getting big ole tires just yet. Drive it like the SUV it is (well, it depends on your title - Mine says station wagon lol) then once you get used to the lunchbox on wheels, lift it and come wheel with us!
Old 07-09-2015, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 14 jku with a 2 and 4 year old. the kids love the jeep but almost everytime beg for the windows to be up :( . The JKU offers great space for family vacations with ample room for everyones luggage and even strollers and pack and plays at once. There is also enough room for a small adult between the cars seats which is nice. I live in upstate NY and we have extreme weather as February almost didn't get above freezing this year and both of my kids were fine in the backseat. We also keep a few of their blankets in back for them incase they are cold. All in all the JKU is a GREAT vehicle, with that said i'll be looking for a replacement 2 door next spring me thinks hahahahaha.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I also have a 3.5 year old and a 6 month old, had the jeep for about 5 years, it has been great for kids.

Get the side airbags since you have safety concerns. Mine came with them.

I am going with a 2.5 inch lift with a 34, just my 2 cents. Keep the jeep low as you can. The 3 inch mark brings a lot more investment to do it right I am told.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
On the street. Blacked out on the way home from work, crossed yellow lines and need up going thru 5 back yards, 3 sheds and 2 trees, the first tree sent me into the roll. I could feel and hear everything going on but I could see nothing. Dr's couldn't find anything wrong with me either. Just one of those weird freak accidents.
Dang! That's a scary scenario. Glad to hear you were okay, though.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2367794622.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	849.5 KB
ID:	618723 No worries.
Check out Diono Radian car seats. Steel construction.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think it's a great transition for your life style. I got out of motorcycles and agree with the previous post that a Jeep with the doors and top off are as close to motorcycle freedom as you can get in a vehicle. It's easy to get kids in and out, even lifted. I got the Unlimited just for this.

The hard top does get hot. There are remedies but living in CO, I wouldn't worry about it unless you found it to be an issue. It's likely you wont. I live in FL and simply aim my side vent up to cool the top (yes, it works to an extent) and the two center vents straight to the back for my kids. Haven't had a complaint yet and they all love the Jeep. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

is your sierra crew cab style or just extended cab? Are you a 1 vehicle household or is this the secondary vehicle? Compared to my extended cab truck our JKU is a much better family vehicle in terms of comfort/room for the back seat. both would still need rear facing seat to be in the middle though. We recently traded in our minivan for the JKU and my wife regretted it after only a couple weeks, the doors dont stay open (by design...they just kind of hang there) so would shut on her when leaning in, was more work for her to get in too and she had to help the kids in most of the times (my boys are 6&8). Because of that, I ended up trading in my other car (sport car type) for her to get another suv type vehicle and now I took over the jeep as my fun vehicle.
that said, If this is a second vehicle....you will love it....if its your only vehicle and your coming from the truck...I think you'll love it. But I'd keep the lift to 1.5-2.5" tops, and tires 33"-35" tops, lifting a pumpkin seat into a lifted jeep will get old really fast (same as with your truck)...so if an everyday deal...keep it low, suggest stock.

Have you thought about just getting an older 2 door to replace the motorcycle as an extra vehicle? Then you can keep top/doors off, enjoy when you can and not feel the need to keep it comfortable for a baby all the time.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TJinaJKU
is your sierra crew cab style or just extended cab? Are you a 1 vehicle household or is this the secondary vehicle? Compared to my extended cab truck our JKU is a much better family vehicle in terms of comfort/room for the back seat. both would still need rear facing seat to be in the middle though. We recently traded in our minivan for the JKU and my wife regretted it after only a couple weeks, the doors dont stay open (by design...they just kind of hang there) so would shut on her when leaning in, was more work for her to get in too and she had to help the kids in most of the times (my boys are 6&8). Because of that, I ended up trading in my other car (sport car type) for her to get another suv type vehicle and now I took over the jeep as my fun vehicle.
that said, If this is a second vehicle....you will love it....if its your only vehicle and your coming from the truck...I think you'll love it. But I'd keep the lift to 1.5-2.5" tops, and tires 33"-35" tops, lifting a pumpkin seat into a lifted jeep will get old really fast (same as with your truck)...so if an everyday deal...keep it low, suggest stock.

Have you thought about just getting an older 2 door to replace the motorcycle as an extra vehicle? Then you can keep top/doors off, enjoy when you can and not feel the need to keep it comfortable for a baby all the time.
My Sierra is a crew cab. My wife drives a Nissan Rogue so that would become the main family car and I would drive the Jeep. I'm not very concerned with her having to put the kiddos in the Jeep often as I would be with her when we take it. The Jeep would be our go-to on the weekend mountain trips (summer and winter). In this case, the baby would only be in the jeep 10% of the time. From the responses I've seen here, doesn't sound like that will be an issue at all.
I've thought about just getting an older jeep to replace the bike but we don't have space for it. Some day .

Quick Reply: Baby on the way. Is the Unlimited a good baby hauler?