Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bad Day with JK

Old 02-15-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Day with JK

Well i'm at home sick, and my JK is at the dealer sick.
Broke a passenger side U joint this weekend, so brought that in to get looked at. They agreed to warranty it thankfully, but then called me back and said that the problems could go deeper. They believe my axle is bent, and I could possibly have a "carrier problem".

Starting to sound expensive to me, and i'm not so sure they are going to warranty anything now :(

I've never wheeled this JK hard... so what gives? I'm starting to believe this thing are fragile
Old 02-15-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

yeah they are..especially the carriers..i had to replace mine, dealer wouldnt warranty any of it..so i had to end up towing it home and doing both the front and rear diffs myself..had to rebuild them both cause the gears were shredded and when i took them back into the dealer to show them what they wouldnt warranty someone got fired..lol...and the thing is..i dont really wheel it that hard

Last edited by redrockjk07; 02-15-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Any inclination as to what this could cost? lol
Old 02-15-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

They just called. Looks like water got in my dif somehow...

So i'm getting all kinds of new parts. Told me they would warranty it though
Old 02-15-2010, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeepPilot88
They just called. Looks like water got in my dif somehow...

So i'm getting all kinds of new parts. Told me they would warranty it though
That is all that matters.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redrockjk07
yeah they are..especially the carriers..i had to replace mine, dealer wouldnt warranty any of it..so i had to end up towing it home and doing both the front and rear diffs myself..had to rebuild them both cause the gears were shredded and when i took them back into the dealer to show them what they wouldnt warranty someone got fired..lol...and the thing is..i dont really wheel it that hard
If you blew out both carriers, you were doing something really hard ...
Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Both my front and rear diffs got water in them. I noticed them dripping and took it to dealer before anything broke. They cleaned it out and checked everything but not covered under warranty. 28,000 miles. How did the water get in and what is going to keep it from getting in there again? Over 150,000 miles on my Bronco and Chevy 0ne ton and never had a problem. What's up?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

It's great they will warranty with the after market OME HD Suspension System.
The Stealership here says that the suspension will void any warranty relating to any problem that it "might" have caused.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well with the aftermarket tires being 33"s they are well within their rights to not warranty it....that's great that they are though.
As far as water getting into the diff, have you done any fording of water? Playing in big puddles? If so it is entirely possible to get water past the seals into the diff...says right in the manual to drain and change diff oil if any recent fording or water play has taken place.
The carriers are not "weak" they are the same as any previous year, and if anything the axles alot stronger and thicker than previous years.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

33" is hardly anything that would cause the damage he has. that's a stretch.

and the axles are a little stronger.... but the JKs wider and heavier. balances out. I wouldn't think of them as being stronger than previous models. If anything, I've seen more broken Us, bent tubes, and all kinds of poorly welded brackets shearing on the JKs that didn't happen before.

Glad to see you were warrantied without a fight. If anything water in the dif, would have been a flag at most places. not the 33s.

Quick Reply: Bad Day with JK