Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

bending tube for stinger

Old 05-21-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=AZ Bulldog;511963][QUOTE=RedneckJeep;511909]
Originally Posted by AZ Bulldog
Pipe is measured from the inside, tubing is measured from the outside. So, a piece of 2" tubing and 2" piece of pipe are not the same size. A pipe bender will not give you a mandrel bend (what everyone is looking for), you will get a kink on each end of the bend and depending on the degree of the bend it can kink in the center and flatten the outside of the bend also.

I understand what you're trying to say, I sold my exhaust shop three years ago so I have many years of bending under my belt also. So, in relation to this thread, no one can bend a stinger (around 100 deg. +/-) out of tubing on a pipe bender without kinks.

Sorry it just wont happen.
I said that too, but it all depends on which dies you use. I learned real quick to never say never.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's people that try to build things with the wrong tools that make manufacturers put warning labels on tubes of Preparation H "for External Use Only!". Exhaust benders, conduit benders, tubing benders and pipe benders...the name says it all. You can bend anything in anything but if there was a one in all bender then they would not make multiple benders for different materials. Use what you want, just dont let me be near you if your life, or mine, is going to depend on it. The 'my buddy does this....' scenario will get someone killed or injured. So while we are at it let's start the old debate up over DOM HREW SCH40 or SCH80? I personally like 1 3/4 .25 wall DOM
Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=quadratec;512154]It's people that try to build things with the wrong tools that make manufacturers put warning labels on tubes of Preparation H "for External Use Only!". Exhaust benders, conduit benders, tubing benders and pipe benders...the name says it all. You can bend anything in anything but if there was a one in all bender then they would not make multiple benders for different materials. Use what you want, just dont let me be near you if your life, or mine, is going to depend on it. The 'my buddy does this....' scenario will get someone killed or injured. So while we are at it let's start the old debate up over DOM HREW SCH40 or SCH80? I personally like 1 3/4 .25 wall DOM[/QUOTE]

I'm right there w/ ya, I go just a little larger. 2"

I always try and explain to people that you have to use the correct tools for the job, some just don't understand. Just because it works doesn't make it right.

Mitchell...
Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by quadratec
It's people that try to build things with the wrong tools that make manufacturers put warning labels on tubes of Preparation H "for External Use Only!". Exhaust benders, conduit benders, tubing benders and pipe benders...the name says it all. You can bend anything in anything but if there was a one in all bender then they would not make multiple benders for different materials. Use what you want, just dont let me be near you if your life, or mine, is going to depend on it. The 'my buddy does this....' scenario will get someone killed or injured. So while we are at it let's start the old debate up over DOM HREW SCH40 or SCH80? I personally like 1 3/4 .25 wall DOM
Like I said, the NHRA officials have never failed anything he's built yet. And he builds cages and the like for the Fastest Street Car In America shootout. There's always a different way, that doesn't necessarily make it wrong.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

We're talking about a little different things, you're wanting a stinger, I just bent a hoop to protect my winch. I should have re-read before I offered my .02. For a stinger that is going to be depended on for keeping you off your nose you're probably better off getting DOM and having someone bend it for you. But the bender I have can bend some pretty tight angles if you set it up right. I don't think it could do 100 deg though.

I work in the oilfield, small stuff like on workover's we run tubing, 2" +/-, 4" and bigger we call pipe. I went to the steel store and ordered 1 1/2 and 2" tubing, and asked them to cut the joints in half. I get around there and it's square tubing. I said i wanted the round kind, they said that's pipe. I learned something that day. I can use the square anyway.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

thanks for all the information. im going to run up to a local offroad shop and see what they say.

*crossing fingers*
Old 05-22-2008, 12:05 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by quadratec
...and by the way, this "people" has a name on this forum, Mr. Quadratech. You should keep that in mind when addressing possible future clients.

Quick Reply: bending tube for stinger