Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bent tailgate with 35's, contact or to much weight?

Old 02-01-2016, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent tailgate with 35's, contact or to much weight?

Trying to figure out if the tailgate on my 2015 JK bent due to increased weight or because maybe I hit on a steep departure angle. I'm running a 35" KM2 on Level 8 Tracker 15" alloys. The rubber stops were extended and the tire was solidly mounted so there was no flexing on the tailgate. I've got Evo rear shackles and no bumper.

I offroad most weekends. I've been on a couple trips where I may have bumped it on the bottom of the tire coming off a clay (muddy) bank but nothing in the last month. I just noticed my tailgate was bent Friday and I think I would have noticed it by now if it was dropping off a shelf a month ago or more. My last few wheeling trips have been really bumpy and mud ruts but not shelf's.

I'm trying to figure if I'm safe riding with the spare mounted on the street for a few weeks or if I will do additional damage.

There is a dent starting at the bottom hinge and extending up toward the top of the tire carrier.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:24 PM
JK Newbie

I'm thinking weight. A) if it was caused by impact bad enough to cause that you'd see visible traces of it. B) I have a TJ w/ a 33" hanging on the tailgate and it warped it even though it's only a 33. If you wheel it hard enough and long enough It'll do that. 2015 seems too recent to accumulate that kinda damage but only you know what you've put it through
Old 02-13-2016, 03:52 AM
JK Newbie

I've read newer JK'S are supposed to be able to support more weight on the tailgate. But I also wheel it pretty hard.

I ordered an OR-FAB Rotopax carrier so I don't do anymore damage.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

I've been running a 37" tire on my tailgate for a year now with no issues at all.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran almost the same set up for almost a year with no issues, but I only went on 2 wheeling trips with it like that. It most likely came from wheeling often and bouncing around a bunch, that will put a lot more stress on that tailgate then the tire just mounted and on road conditions.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

It was probably a bump off a ledge or something similar. If you are not running any bumper, it leaves the spare pretty exposed
Old 02-21-2016, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Do you have an aftermarket tire carrier?
Old 02-21-2016, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

I was running the factory mount, not anymore though. Upgrades to an OR-FAB Rotopax carrier.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The JKs in general can support a lot more weight than the TJs, but it's not so much the resting weight as the weight in a dynamic moment that will get you.

Hit a big bump or dip and come back down and that big tire/wheel weight is magnified tremendously in that moment.

That said, I bet you made contact with something on a steep departure. As you get bigger meat back there, it's just a lot more hanging on the back to connect with rocks.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by banksjeepr
Trying to figure out if the tailgate on my 2015 JK bent due to increased weight or because maybe I hit on a steep departure angle. I'm running a 35" KM2 on Level 8 Tracker 15" alloys. The rubber stops were extended and the tire was solidly mounted so there was no flexing on the tailgate. I've got Evo rear shackles and no bumper.

I offroad most weekends. I've been on a couple trips where I may have bumped it on the bottom of the tire coming off a clay (muddy) bank but nothing in the last month. I just noticed my tailgate was bent Friday and I think I would have noticed it by now if it was dropping off a shelf a month ago or more. My last few wheeling trips have been really bumpy and mud ruts but not shelf's.

I'm trying to figure if I'm safe riding with the spare mounted on the street for a few weeks or if I will do additional damage.

There is a dent starting at the bottom hinge and extending up toward the top of the tire carrier.
Mine looks identical.....i hit mine on rock. Soon after welds broke inside and it rattles like crazy....but got gen right carrier to fix.

Quick Reply: Bent tailgate with 35's, contact or to much weight?