Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best Airfilter for New Pentastar Engine?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Airfilter for New Pentastar Engine?

Coming up on the mileage recommended to change out my air filter. I do a lot of driving, are there any recommended aftermarket air filters that would help improve MPG substantially over the MOPAR filter for the new Pentastar engine? I have heard of some air filters which actually decrease mileage, being built more for performance.

What would you recommend?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

I put the K&N in mine. Not sure if your going to get any crazy MPG difference but it will last you much longer and I have always had good experiences with K&N filters in all my vehicles.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
I put the K&N in mine. Not sure if your going to get any crazy MPG difference but it will last you much longer and I have always had good experiences with K&N filters in all my vehicles.
I also have the k&n series 77 CAI. I'm a big fan of it. When I don't drive like a jacka$$, I get about 18.3 mpg. I also have a viper throttle body and they work very well together
Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just the base one? Have you noticed any MPG or power differences once changing filters? How, and how often, do you wash the filter? It's supposed to last a couple hundred thousand miles?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mlupacchino
Just the base one? Have you noticed any MPG or power differences once changing filters? How, and how often, do you wash the filter? It's supposed to last a couple hundred thousand miles?
K&n sells a filter cleaning kit. I believe it's just a spray and wash. Haven't gotten to that point yet. I've had mine for about 7 months and not a single problem. It's also incredible easy to install. Plus it gives off a nice rumble when you push it
Old 01-07-2014, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming up on the mileage recommended to change out my air filter. I do a lot of driving, are there any recommended aftermarket air filters that would help improve MPG substantially over the MOPAR filter for the new Pentastar engine? I have heard of some air filters which actually decrease mileage, being built more for performance.

What would you recommend?

It has been my real world experience that no intake will "substantially" increase anything, except maybe noise depending on RPM. I've had some intakes that have made the JK feel slower (RoadRace Motorsports) and I've had some that do very little improvement in power and MPG (Banks or K&N). But if you happen to find one that makes a significant difference, please let us know!!!

Oh and I have noticed that a dryflow filter will usually give you a little more power vs the cloth & oil ones.... but I don't think they filter as much dust in comparison.

Again, this is all my experience. I'm sure there are people out there that have had different experiences with the same products.

Last edited by B 1000; 01-07-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you have a better experience with Banks or K&N?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have a better experience with Banks or K&N?
Yes, to both. The Banks was actually a really nice intake. Fit and finish was nice, and it gave a nice tone under acceleration. BUT the amount of MPG gain or power gain is minimal.

K&N was just a drop in filter. Probably didn't do anything except piece of mind that it was filtering smaller dust particles while I'm in the dunes.

The only filter that I noticed did a huge difference is the one made by RIPP ...... buuuuuut that's because there is a supercharger attached to it
Old 01-07-2014, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am just looking for a base filter, nothing crazy. Don't want increased noise, or anything. The base K&N filter is $70, if it offers no real advantage of any kind over the mopar for ~ $30 then I am not interested. If it will last xtimes as long, or will filter better, etc. then I may be more inclined to spring for it.

If I could gain even half a MPG I would consider paying for the more expensive $200+ filters, as I do a lot of driving, and that would add up. But if the $300 K&N doesn't improve MPG any over the base $70 unit, then I see no point to it. I could care less about the noise.

Last edited by Mlupacchino; 01-07-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

Look on amazon, I got my K&N for i think like around 40 bucks!

Quick Reply: Best Airfilter for New Pentastar Engine?