Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bestop duster help!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bestop duster help!!!

Good Morning,

Looking for some help, before i purchase a Bestop JK duster for my wrangler...I see in all the pics and in the instuctions for the duster is says to remove soft top and all hardwear..Is this really nessasery? Or can i left the soft top up from the back , install the duster and then lower the soft top on the duster....The only reason i am looking at the duster is so people cant just stick there hands in the back and grab something or have it go flying out on the highway...

Any ideas or experiance with this?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 09-02-2011, 05:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The Duster fits into the lip around the tub in the exact same spot as the softtop. There just isn't enough space there, I doubt. to get both to fit such that the softtop (being last on) wouldn't come out and start flapping all over the place. The softtop also uses the same tailgate bar and plasatic clips to secure the rear window in place as the Duster uses to secure the aft part of it--I suppose you could leave that loose and let the Duster sag across the tailgate. All-in-all, it would be a pretty sloppy fit, I believe.

Old picture of Duster install, may give you some idea of what I'm writing about ...
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris, I have 4-door with soft-top and have used the Duster for three years, so have lived with the issue of securing it and the soft-top into the channel lips that Mark clearly describes.

I bought the Duster when it was the only option, but I'd now recommend you take a look at Tuffy's Security Deck Enclosure - it is solid (duster is soft material) and to my knowledge the Tuffy product doesn't interfere with the soft top sail channel lips.

If you still want the Duster, I can further describe ways to secure both the Duster and Soft-top sails in the same channel lips. Let me know.

Here is an old photo, which shows the side channel

Last edited by westchester; 09-02-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys some good ideas , but i'm not looking to but both on at the same time..I just want to fold the soft top down and put on the duster. So both would not be in the channel at the same time..I just unsrcew the soft top from the jeep everytime ..Westceaster hit the nail on the head thats what i want to do

Quick Reply: Bestop duster help!!!