Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Black Box

Old 01-06-2008, 01:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I don't think it will ever get tot he point where tickets can be issued because your box says you were speeding. I know that some of the local communites around me have installed the stop light camera's, and the supreme court decided after the fact that you can not issue a ticket to something a police officer did not physically witness. Based on this, if a cop doesn't see you speeding, all he can do is warn you.
LOL, Do you really believe that? Not very long ago the rental cars were doing just that.

You should never trust government nor hand over your rights, period.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fubeka
1-Does anyone know how to disable the ERD?
2-Does anyone know if it is illegal to disable?

I am older now w/kids so speeding is pretty much a thing of the past, but hate the idea of the ERD. As my tax professor used to say 'the only thing preventing the government from taxing you in your leisure time is technology'. I am not saying this will lead to more taxes (though, I'd bet some freaky libs would love to create a 'heavy driving foot' tax to get those that waste gas by throttling hard), but rather the government will always look for excuses and opportunities to watch your every step.

As am example of what your tax man said,..... in Colorado they started taxing "views" at least in certain area's. Well there was one paarticular plot of land in the center of a valley, quite large and rural. The owner lived in the center of his property. He just happened to have a tremendous view of all the mountains about him. The view tax was exceptionally high. He lived in a cabin, was disabled and.....get this.......
Blind!

No excuse according to the revenuers, he HAD to pay anyhow.

I do not know the outcome of the subsequent lawsuit.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ridebreck
I agree with you. Besides, driving is not our right. The state gives us the priveledge of driving on the roadways and are within their right to regulate that activity. It's the same reason why I have no problem with the red light cameras.
The State gives us the privilege for driving on roads that we own, paid for, and paid for the maintenance of the roads. (Although they often steal the tax monies for maintenance to pay for other things.)

Red light cameras are wrong, just like remote traffic camera's for speeding are wrong. They are easily manipulated to give false information and when city funds are low they shorten the yellow lights which creates more "red light runs" They are installed and paid for by private companies granted the rights to "share the wealth" it is not a flat fee service by the providers.

Let me ask you, did people pay in the old days for the right to drive on or off road? Did they pay based on whether it was a two seater carriage or four? Did they pay for Conestoga wagons? Hay wagons? Heck NO

As to paying extra taxes based on luxury or speedy type vehicles, we already do, its called the gas guzzler tax. We often pay surcharges on gasoline that are supposed to be lifted once the situation is over, but seldom is.

Dude, we are all sitting in a pot of water that is about to be boiled, like in the proverbial frog story. Don't be so placant. (sp)
Old 01-06-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Nope, the GPS locator micro-camera & health data chip the NSA implanted in my left cornea tells them all that & more anyhow.

*L* no seriously, i dont really care, but i havent yet had any major hassles with ins. but i can see where someone who did might have an issue with it.
You only got it partially right. They brain washed you into buying your own device that tracks you, records your voice and will send video back on demand. It is called your cell phone.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chico166
The information recorded by the vehicle is protected to a point where in order to obtain it, you would either have to agree to release it or a court order from a judge would have to be obtained before the box and information from your Jeep could be released. Evidence that your vehicle may have contributed to the accident would have to be present for most judges to agree to release that information or make that information obtainable. Obviously the courts could be flooded with cases like this, so most of these are reserved for instances where there is extreme physical injury, permanent disfigurement, or death. The computers that retrieve this information are not cheap by any means so its not like any Joe Citizen can afford to buy one and see what your vehicle has recorded. I hope this helps.
If you were reading the previous posts you would see where a traffic/accident investigator downloads the info on the spot. Where is the court order? It is a blanket one.

It could/can/will be used for other reasons like to put away a mafia type person if they can't get him on anything else. or your political enemy. Don't for a minute think they wouldn't use it for a vendetta against someone, and claim, "Hey, its the law!"

When a cop wants to bust you or harrase you just cause your some snot nosed kid or a gangbanger they just look for something small on your car to pull you over, like a license plate light missing, bulb burnt out, car too noisey, sits too high, tires stick too far out the sides of your vehicle, whatever. Sometimes they do this to pick up what they think is a babe, till they pull her over and realize she's a hot looking granny.

And yes I do support cops.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
Hey? How did you know I said that? You got one of them fancy fan-dangled listenin' do-hickeys in my jeep?
Yes, and it is that button on your radio that you've been told does not work.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Woody611
Oh, and don't worry about the black SUV's following you around.
What about when it is four to six, all with enough antennae's to make it look like porcupines, running boards big enough to carry a crew, no-flat tires, and windows tinted so dark that you have to have infra-red googles to see inside?

Hard to tell whether it be friend or foe.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skibum
I don't know where you live but here in NH the police can and do issue tickets to drivers based on photo evidence. In addition, they have caught felons using GPS locator data from their cellphones, onboard GPS systems and even OnStar. I guess, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you shouldn't worry, but I sure don't like this level of government intrusion. Oh yeah, if you rent vehicles frequently like I do (business), be very careful about obeying the speed limits, etc. Rental car companies are using black box data and OnStar info to prevent people from renting and to deny insurance coverage in the event of accidents.
Tip of the Iceberg Brother! We are on a need to know basis
Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by horwitzs
Big Brother watching?? It's not in your house, it is when you are driving, IN PUBLIC where anything you do is up for watching or even being photographed.
It doesn't record your conversations, it's not a camera...
Personally, if I'm in a major wreck I'd be glad there is a source of data to show what really happened!

Okay, those who disagree can let me have it now.
In China, they are equipped with Bluetooth, have microphones, and transmit data to police. It is not a far stretch from red light cameras to black box tickets. Don't worry, no court or points on your license -- Just a fee.

I would like to remove mine.

Quick Reply: Black Box