Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Body Armor's Customer Service Stinks, buyer beware

Old 10-03-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Armor's Customer Service Stinks, buyer beware

I bought the Body Armor front bumper, rear bumper, and bumper tire carrier for my 2011 Wrangler Unlimited. Like everyone else the tire carrier sagged a little. So, I called Body armor and got some spacers. I put the spacers in and it seemed to help. About three weeks later it sagged again. I attempted call Body Armor to get yet another set of spacers, new bearings, and a new dust cap since the old one gets destroyed when you pull it off. I was transfered to someone's voice mail, guy #1 on Monday, left a message. Wednesday comes and they still haven't called back. I call again, they transfer me to the same person, guy #1 and I get their voice mail again. I immediately call back and explain I need to speak with an actual person. They transfer me to an other guy, guy #2 who says his computer is down, he takes my info and says he will call me back when the computer comes up. Surprise, surprise, he never calls back. I call back on Thursday, they transfer me to guy #1 again and yet again I get his voice mail. I immediately call back and they tell me they don't know what to tell me because that division is in a different building than the receptionist. She puts me on hold, transfers me to guy #3. He says he can't help me if someone has already starrted an order, but he will check on it and call me back. He never does. Finally, on Thursday, guy #2 calls me back and says they have to charge me $40 for the bearing kit plus $5 shipping and handling. Fine, just send it to me. The charge posts to my account that day and clears. Monday, October 3rd, Fed Ex delivers my package. Alright, its my normal day off so I can rebuild my tire carrier and hopefully eliminate the sagging. I open the package and there are 3 spacers and a dust cap, no bearing kit. OMG I want to explode, the very thing they charged me $45 for and they forgot to send it to me. I call them at 1:15 pm and the receptionist transfers me to someone, I don't know who because it says "You can not leave a message at this time because the person you are trying to reach has a mailbox that is full". Are you kidding me? How does this company stay in business if these people never listen to their voice mail and never respond to their customers. Because, people like me buy their product without knowing how bad their service is. P L E A S E don't make the same mistake I did, go with any other good quality company that has gotten postivie reviews on sites like this.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

You could mess with them, or you could just go to a good machine shop and get a bushing put in in place of the bearings and get rid of your sagging problem for ever. Put a grease cert on it and you should hardly notice a difference in resistance.
Just a though, but if the designs sucks for everyone else, it probably can't be fixed without changing it??
Old 10-03-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Hey man. Had the exact same issue as you. Read thru my thread especially my last few posts.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...d-tire-carrier

Your issue might be the same as mine - the lower pivot cover might be installed wrong.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

That sucks...they've always been good to me!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you PM their forum rep? he was always quick to respond to me.

Looks like you filled up their voice mailboxes

If i were to get their rear tire carrier setup i would do like the one guy said and get a bushing and a zerk fitting. no more bad bearings.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking at their base rear bumper without the tire carrier... It is worth the $360? How is the quality of their actual bumper?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
I am looking at their base rear bumper without the tire carrier... It is worth the $360? How is the quality of their actual bumper?
I can't speak for the rear bumper, but their front high clearance bumper is of very good quality.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the rear bumper (not the high clearance) last year and the pivot post hits my tail gate (and has dented it). I just got their swing arm and it doesn't fit. you can't latch it on the driver side. After about a week the dealer I went through finally got somebody to say they'll send a new bumper and it will be here tomorrow. Body Armour first said that I had to pay for the shipping both ways. I have the quad-hoop front bumper and love it, I tried it out on a tree a couple of weeks ago on a trail and the tree lost. Hopefully it was just a bad location we they welded it.
I wish they would change the D-ring that comes with their bumpers, I have the screw in type and I lost one going down the highway, nothing got hit but I never found it either.
I check out about the bushing if I have the sagging problem.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by armycop
The bumpers are actually really good! I'd recommend them highly. The tire carrier suffers from instruction-suck-itis. It's very easy to misread it and screw up the carrier install.

Quick Reply: Body Armor's Customer Service Stinks, buyer beware