JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   bumper height laws-where measure from? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/bumper-height-laws-where-measure-59979/)

ytee 10-29-2008 03:08 PM

bumper height laws-where measure from?

In Illinois I am allowed 27 in front and 29 in back. The law reads from the ground to the highest part of the bumper. Also reads if you do not have stock bumpers you then measure to the bottom of the frame rails. In the back I measure 27 to the bottom of the frame rails. In the front I measure 28 1/8 to the bottom of the frame rails. My question is will the police measure from the bottom of the frame rails in the front or is the blocker beam on the bottom considered part of the frame.

Choppus 10-30-2008 03:36 AM

They will probably measure to the bottom of the frame rail. Just weld a 2" block to the both the front frame rails and then when they measure to them you will be ok. :LOL: :wink:

ytee 10-30-2008 04:16 PM

That is a good idea I was thinking that is what I needed to do just to be sure I was ok.

hawgrider1200 10-30-2008 04:20 PM

enforcement?

do they really enforce that kinda BS up yonder where ya'll stay? We got laws down here bout that kinda shit too but they never enforce it. course they might if'n u wuz to give em half a reason. like come down here with that yankee accent of yours, signing battle hymn of the republic or sum such sheeeeeiiiiii:rotflmao2:ttttt

ytee 10-30-2008 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by hawgrider1200 (Post 765362)
do they really enforce that kinda BS up yonder where ya'll stay? We got laws down here bout that kinda shit too but they never enforce it. course they might if'n u wuz to give em half a reason. like come down here with that yankee accent of yours, signing battle hymn of the republic or sum such sheeeeeiiiiii:rotflmao2:ttttt

Most of the local police will not bother with it unless you are just being a jerk. Sometimes the state police will mess with vehicle code violations though.

Choppus 10-30-2008 11:09 PM

How does a ticket like that work? Cost more the further you are from the legal height or is it all the same price if your over?
LMAO land of the free. You have to wear seatbelts in car, you have to wear helmet on motorcycle, your 4x4 can only be x" tall. There are so many bullshit laws on the books, it's not funny. :sad2:

tgrt 10-31-2008 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Choppus (Post 765837)
...LMAO land of the free. You have to wear seatbelts in car, you have to wear helmet on motorcycle, your 4x4 can only be x" tall. There are so many bullshit laws on the books, it's not funny. :sad2:

We haven't been free for a long, long time. We gave that up for a safer civilization. And as we all know those laws snowball into more and more laws.

Littlejon 10-31-2008 05:32 AM

These laws only apply if your vehicle is registered in that state right?:thinking:

Just wondering if I am going to have to research these items prior to taking a road trip.

hawgrider1200 10-31-2008 08:38 AM

freedom

Originally Posted by tgrt (Post 766056)
We haven't been free for a long, long time. We gave that up for a safer civilization. And as we all know those laws snowball into more and more laws.

ain't been free since 1865

hawgrider1200 10-31-2008 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Littlejon (Post 766074)
These laws only apply if your vehicle is registered in that state right?:thinking:

Just wondering if I am going to have to research these items prior to taking a road trip.

no, as with most laws they will enforce sumtimes just to get ur money. oh, BTW they can't extridite for a misdemenor